Part 48

I opened my eyes, my fingers flying to the sensitive skin where I bared the mark of my mate. It was burning and throbbing. I let out a small whimper, feeling wetness on my fingers. It hurt so bad, it was worse than before. I knew it was because Dez and I were mated now and it was worse because we weren't touching again, like in the beginning of our relationship. If you could call it a relationship.

I bit down on my lip, it hurt so much. It stung and burned and throbbed, it was the worst pain I had ever felt. I panted a little as I felt tears sting my eyes. I sniffed, getting up going to the bathroom stepping over Eric again. I looked at it in the mirror and saw it was actually bleeding. I got a washcloth and ran cold water over it and rested it over it hoping the cold would help. It didn't help at all and the pain just seemed to get worse. I wiped tears and tried to be quiet, it felt like a knife twisting my neck.

I could vaguely hear Eric moving around after what seemed like the longest time of my life, he came into the bathroom questionably.

"Kendal?" he said quietly his eyes falling to me on the floor.

"What's wrong?" he asked his eyes going to the wash cloth now stained red pressed against my neck.

"It's because I haven't been around Dez in a long time" I told him my voice cracking a little, I sniffed a little, his eyes looked heartbroken, he sat down almost hesitantly.

"Did he tell you that?" he asked me quietly brushed hair out of my face that was plastered to my clammy skin, I nodded.

"This happened before in the beginning..." I said giving him a forced watery smile. His eyes looked at me with pity.

"Kendal... I've seen this before, this doesn't happen when mates are apart it happens when one of the mates is being unfaithful." He told me. I wrapped my head around it.

"What?" I whispered softly.

"As a rogue, I've seen this. I've seen awful things like this used as prison techniques... Kendal, he's with another woman right now." He told me looking at me like a lost puppy but I could see underlying anger burning in his eyes.

"What" I repeated in disbelief. I couldn't wrap my head around this. Dez was cheating on me? He was with another woman? Right this second. In the beginning, Dez had been cheating on me? Before he had even given me a chance? I sat there for the longest time. I was upset. I thought Dez loved me. In the beginning it might be a little understandable. He didn't know me, and I was basically forced to be with him because I ran away.

But now? After we had mated? After he told me he loved me, told me he cared about me, completed the most sacred act of sealing our bond that would mate us for life, he would cheat on me? I stared at the tile, the searing pain on my neck seemed to almost go numb at the thought. I could physically feel my heart shattering into a million pieces into my chest. I could barely breathe, my chest was tight and I could barely even swallow.

I couldn't cry, all I could do was feel my world falling apart around me, and think about the fact that the man that I gave everything to, who I loved and trusted with my heart, I was never good enough for. I wasn't good enough for him, so he was getting what he wanted from other people. I couldn't comprehend it. Dez was with another woman. I tried to gasp for air but I couldn't, my chest was tight but didn't hurt, my neck didn't hurt anymore either.

I gave him a chance. I trusted Dezmond with my heart, I gave him the ability to completely crush me by choosing to love him. I gave him every part of me. Parts I can never ever get back, and I wasn't good enough. I was never good enough.

How could he do that to me? I thought I meant something to him. I thought he loved me, and cared for me? What had he wanted from me? Did he want me to fall completely head over heels for him so he could take my heart and put it through a wood chipper? What was the point of the last few months? Why had he kept me? What had he lead me on like that? To get into my pants?