Part 43

He was on a stretcher and blood covered almost every inch of his body and he was unconscious. I stopped breathing. His hair was matted in the dark red substance, all I could smell was the metallic scent of his blood and the smell of his skin. I looked up seeing James directly speaking to me, but I couldn't hear what he was saying all I could hear was my heart beating in my ears. Eventually a large chest took up my sight and someone wrapped their arms around me and led me out into a palce with chairs. I couldn't comprehend anything, all I could hear was a ringing in my ears and all I could smell was the lingering scent of Dez's blood. I could see people coming to sit in the room as well in my vision but I didn't understand any of this.

Finally I looked around and realized I was in Michael's lap and he was holding me and talking to me. I couldn't make his words out but it probably wasn't anything important. Finally my hearing came back and it was like a bubble popped in my chest, it felt like a truck had been set on my chest and I completely lost it and started bawling my eyes out into Michael.

I didn't understand. How could Dez be hurt? He was the strongest Alpha there was. He was trained. How could he be vulnerable? He was Dezmond Collins. He killed people with ease? What could be bad enough even Dez himself couldn't face it? How could Dezmond be hurt? How?

So many questions ran though my head. I could barely breathe, my chest was so tight and the crying wasn't helping the breathing issue.

"What happened?" I finally choked out to Michael.

"Collins left the territory and was ambushed by at least 15 rogues."

"Rogues?" I asked angrily, the edges of my vision almost red. My father controlled rogues. My father must have done this. And if he didn't he knew about it. Nothing went on with rogues my father didn't know about. I was ready to kill. No one would hurt my mate and not pay the price.

"Are any of them left?" I asked through my teeth.

"Collins handled them all easily, he took them all down himself. When I got there, after they were all dead, he just collapsed." Michael said, I almost felt proud that my mate could take on that many fully grown rogue werewolves by himself. Many alphas could only take on maybe 6 or 7 other werewolves at one time.

"Did my dad have something to do with it?" I asked my voice hushed but deadly.

"I will find out Kendal, I promise." Michael told me, "Try to relax this isn't your burden to bare. Just worry about your mate, I'll take care of the rest." He told me rubbing my shoulder. I studied him for a minute before nodding and staying quiet. My mind ran, I went from numb to sobbing back to numb. I didn't know what was going on, what scared me the most was that every time I tried to feel for Dez through our bond it was like he wasn't there at all. Normally he was there but he was shoving me out, but now it was like I couldn't feel him at all and it worried me.

Finally James walked in, with blood all over him, I immediately stood up and hugged myself probably trembling from all the crying.

"Luna" he said and motioned his hand to the hallway. I stared for a minute looking in his eyes trying to judge what he was about to say. I couldn't see sadness. If Dez didn't make it the whole pack would feel it through their links. I knew he was stable but for how long was the question.

"Do you want me to go with you?" Michael asked, I shook my head and then went outside with James, he took me all the way down the hallway to one of the exam rooms that was soundproof. My heart clenched whatever he wanted to tell me he didn't want anyone else to hear. Like maybe the pack wouldn't have an alpha for much longer?

I could feel tears welling in my eyes blurring my vision as I walked, I took in a few gasps of air wiping my eyes. I had to be strong for this. The second the door snapped shut, I turned to him urgently.