Chapter 1

Justice

"Now, where do you want to start sweetheart?"

I squinted my eyes, trying to see through all of the fog that was surrounding me. It was completely dark in here aside from the slight fog that was around me but who was that talking? And were they talking to me? "Did you hear me sweetheart?"

I pulled myself up to my feet and tried moving away from the voice that was coming near me but I couldn't move or see. My feet wouldn't take me where I wanted to go and the only thing visible was the darkness that was taking over me. Everything was just black. "Sweetheart?" The woman asked again. "Don't be afraid of me. I'm your friend."

"Then who come I can't recognize your voice? You're no friend of mine," I replied. "You don't remember me from back in elementary school, before your Mom kicked you out? It's Clarissa. Don't tell me you've forgotten about me already. We used to be best friends."

"I thought you died in a car accident a few years ago?" I asked trying to make sure I was talking to the right person. She was the only Clarissa I knew but she's supposed to be dead. How am I talking to her when I know she died four years ago? I remember going to her funeral and seeing her body and seeing her casket get buried in the ground, which was painful to see. But not as painful as watching her mother weep over her lifeless body on the news the night she got in the accident. 

She sighed. "I am dead and so are you, that's why I came here to talk to you. I'm your guardian angel." "No you aren't," I snapped. "Don't snap on me Jus. I know you might not believe me but I am. I've been watching over you since the day I died." "Why'd you choose me?" I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Because you were my best friend and aside from my Mom you were the only person who cared. And I wasn't going to let you ruin your life over something stupid like that Effrin kid, your son, Dominic or August. You deserve better then all of that and I can change that."

"How do you know if I'm not happy with the way I'm living?" I asked defending myself. I was perfectly fine with August. Things were great for us and if it wasn't for Effrin or Dominic we would have had the perfect relationship. "Because if you were so happy you wouldn't have jumped off of that roof. From what I can remember that's not anything a person who's completely happy would do. Am I wrong?" She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I was happy before August was killed." "No you weren't. You've been putting on an act all of your life just to please others but I'm ready to help you change now." "Change what?" I asked getting curious about her proposition.

"What if I say I can help you change everything that happened to you and let you start over? Completely erase what happened." "Keep talking," I responded liking where she was going. "I'll let you start your life back where you want it." 

I raised my eyebrow starting not to feel so good about this plan, which seemed too good to be true. "Are you sure you can do all of this for me? It doesn't seem too real." "Sweetie this is as real as real can get. Now you're either in or out of the plan." "I-I don't know. What if I end up messing everything up like I did before?"

"As long as you have me guiding you I'm sure you won't mess anything up. Trust me. Everything will turn out just perfect," Clarissa replied. I sighed. "Are you sure you won't leave me again? You know it really hurt when I found out that you died." "I promise I won't leave you again Jus. Do you trust me?" She asked.

I looked down at her outstretched hand debating on whether or not I should do this. What if something ends up getting fucked up like last time and I'm led down the same path like I was before? What if she leaves again and I'm left to stand on my own? I sighed and looked into her eyes, looking at how sincere she was. "Alright, fine. What do I need to do?"