The End of Our Friendship

I finished making breakfast and put the dishes on the table in front of the boys. I grabbed a seat at my usual spot and began eating. The only noise was the scraping sounds of forks in the ceramic plates.
It's been weird lately. I feel like right after I told Harry I was going to volunteer it's been weird. Like something more is up. I guess the only ones who were pretty normal all the time are Liam and Niall. They help me forget all about my troubles.
The boys finished and I collected the plates to put in the sink to wash. They went to go get dressed for the concert they had to go to in a few hours and I started washing.
I listened to the footsteps carry up the stairs and I decided to wipe down the table and then wash the dishes.
Harry's POV.
The boys and Katniss already knew I was volunteering for Carson. They were all pretty stubborn at first but they got used to it. The only people who don't know are my family, Nikki and Lillian and its best if they don't know. I slipped on my blazer and walked out of my closet right in time to see the boys walk in my room.
"You need to tell Lillian that your volunteering", Louie said.
"You need to stop worrying so much about your sisters", I stated simply. He scowled at me.
"She has a right to know, Harry. She told you and you should tell her", Liam said.
"I can't. Or else she's going to make a big deal of it and try and make me change my mind", I stated simply. I knew Lillian to well.
"Fine. Well at least try and be normal around her. Your usual self around her, she's so stressed out and your quiet, stressed out, worrying self isn't helping. She needs us to be as normal as we can. The only time I actually see regular Lillian is when she's hanging around Liam and I. You two, stop moping around about your sisters, there's billions of people in Panem they're not going to get reaped and Harry stop thinking about the games so much and act normal", Niall said.
I let out a huge breath.
"You don't want Lillian to slip in a depression again especially so close to the games", Liam said.
"No", we all said at the same time.
"Well than be normal around each other, just like it was before she told you she was volunteering and before that stupid article about the reaping came out", Liam said sternly
"Fine. I'll start. I'm going to go talk to her", I said and walked out of my room.
I went downstairs and saw Lillian washing dishes. I grabbed a rag and picked up one of the dishes on the drying rack and stated wiping.
She didn't say anything, it just looked like she was deep in thought. I guess I was going to have to start talking. I quickly brewed up a conversation starter in my head.
I thought that maybe we can work out a way for Liam and Nikki on another date since they're Valentine's Day one didn't go so well.
Nikki tried to kiss Liam but he didn't
because he was to nervous, something like that. It was just awkward after that, like really really awkward.
"So maybe after the concert, we can try and get Liam and Nikki on another date", I said.
She looked up at me and smiled.
"Yeah..it's going to take a lot of effort to do that. Liam messed up pretty bad, which reminds me. You owe me 5 dollars", she said and I smiled.
"Yeah I know. I was thinking we do a double date, and then just leave in the middle of it", I told her.
"That's actually a good idea. I'll go call Nikki", she said.
"Wait, why don't you just tell her after the concert?" I asked.
"Oh I forgot to tell you. The concert was canceled. The building was shut down", she said and sighed.
"Oh well than yeah I guess you should call her. I'll go tell then boys...."
I felt my phone ring in my pocket and I took it out to read the text.
PEETA: Hey Harry. If you can come down for training. We need to get started on somethings. Your behind.
HARRY: Ok. I'll be down in 20 minutes
"Um Lillian can we do this double date thing later. I have to run out to do something....a friends just called and said he needed help", I lied.
"Yeah sure, you want me to come too?" She asked.
"No I'll be fine. You can get started on the plan though", I suggested and grabbed my keys.
"Okay well see you when you come back."
I ran out the kitchen and to my car. I drove as quickly as I could to Katniss and Peeta's house. I wasn't really eager to start training. I just wanted to learn as much as I could before the games in two months. If this was really going to happen, I need to know how to protect Lillian.
I parked my car and got out. I knocked on the door and it opened to see Aubrey. She smiled and let me in.
"Good you're here. Your going to run laps in that?" He asked.
I looked down and noticed I was wearing a blazer and fancy pants and shoes.
"Well we had a concert but it was canceled. I was in such a rush I forgot to change", I said.
"Well I think I have some clothes you can borrow. Cmon", Peeta said and
I followed him to his room.
After I changed we ran laps and lifted weights. It was just like a regular training session until we got to the weapon part. We had to find what kind of weapon was best for me.
It took us hours to find the right one but we ended up with a halberd. It's like spear but with like the top of an ax on it. It felt weird in my hand, but right at the same time. The part that amazed me the most was that they had a variety of different weapons.
We finished training and I changed back into my other clothes. I made sure I didn't smell like I worked out for 3 hours and then headed home. Sure the boys knew where I probably was, but Lillian and Nikki didn't.
Lillian's POV
Harry was finally back from whatever he went to do. As soon as he walked through the door I told him to come to my room to review the plans I made. Liam still was still keeping this a secret. We reached my room and we sat in the mini sitting room.
"So what did you come up with?" He asked.
"Well you said that we should just leave in the middle of the date and leave. So you can say that you have to go the bathroom and then from there you can call me and I'll say it's from Simone. Then we'll and do whatever from there", I explained.
"Excellent. Did you tell Liam and Nikki yet?" Harry asked.
"Yes, Nikki's going to be over soon and I told Liam that just you, me and him are hanging out", I said.
"Well it seems like you got everything figured out. Where are we going?"
"I was thinking Gary's Golf Hut. That way it seems more like a hangout then a date. For example our first date wasn't really a date because we were always doing something", I said and he nodded.
"Well let me take this blazer off then. I'll be right back", he said and got up and left. I decided I wanted to change to so I went into my closet and picked out and outfit.
I decided on some short jean shorts, a white crop top, and a red and blue flannel. I put on my white high tops and went downstairs.
Nikki just walked through the door. Her hair was periwinkle and in a messy bun. She had on a whit peasant top with pieces of fabric missing by thee shoulders and shorts and to my surprise she had black flats on. She was walking over to my when Liam and Harry came down the steps.
Her cheeks turned red and she looked down. Liam seemed to be panicking for a little and then calmed down.
"Hey Nicole. We're just about to leave so if you could come back later...." Liam said awkwardly.
I wanted to bang my head against a wall. I couldn't believe he just called her be her real name and asked her to leave. This was beginning to be a disaster.
"Well actually, Liam, I was invited to go golfing", Nikki said. They looked at each other for a while and then looked at me furious.
"I guess I forgot to tell you Liam, I invited Nikki. Now lets get going, I don't want to be late", I said and pushed them out the door.
Harry and I sat in the back of Liam's car making the two of them sit together. The ride was short and silent. I think both of them secretly wanted to murder me.
We reached the golf place and payed for the balls and everything. I was horrible at golf and so was Harry. Liam and Nikki were neck and neck the whole time we played. Around the tenth hole Harry excused himself to the bathroom. They didn't say anything. They were still pretty mad about me setting them up. I could only think of how mad they're going to be when we leave them here alone.
My phone started to ring in my butt pocket and I reached to answer it. The caller ID read Simone, but really it was Harry.
"Uhh....I'll be right back. I need to answer this", I said and began walking away to the front desk pretending to talk on the phone. I returned my ball and golf club and went to the parking lot with Harry. He snatched Liam's keys when he wasn't looking.
I started laughing when I saw Harry standing by the car waiting. I reached him and he began to laugh to.
"I can't believe that actually worked", h laughed. I nodded in agreement and then my phone started buzzing again. It said Simone and I looked at Harry. Harry shook his head no, meaning he wasn't calling me. I picked it up.
I was nervous. He never really called unless it was super important or to tell you I'm not doing enough....was I getting fired.
"Hello?" I said.
"Hey Lillian, it's Simone", he said.
"Hey, how are you?" I asked.
"Not so good...I have some bad news. You're fired..and I'm dropping the boys from my record label", he said.
"I'm sorry what?"
"You heard me."
"Did I do something wrong...did they do something wrong?" I asked. I couldn't believe wht I was hearing. He let a huge breath out.
"As you know the capitol is interfering with District 13. He ordered me to shut down my company and let all my clients go. So its not only you guys, its everyone. They want no trace that superstars ever existed. They want everyone treated as equals, so I'm being forced to shut down my company."
"Oh...I'm so sorry."
"It's not your fault. Hey send a message to the boys for me. Tell them not to stop singing. Voices that good don't deserve to be wasted. Anyway, this goodbye for now Lillian. Good luck at the reaping", he said and I cringed. The phone hung up and I lowered the phone. I couldn't believe this, he was really interfering with 13. The world is going to be just like before, the games are real, Snow really is alive, everything is real.
"Lillian. Lillian are you alright, hat happened?" Harry asked.
"You've been dropped from your record label and I've been fired", I said in one tone.
"What?" He asked in disbelief.
"Simone was forced to shut down his company, and had to fire all of his clients....Harry this is real. The games, Snow, everything."
He hugged me and I felt warm and safe in his big bulky arms. It was like the protection you get from your father. I didn't want to leave this embrace. I closed my eyes.
"It's ok Lillian. We'll be fine. Our lives aren't going to change that much. The guys and I will have real jobs and you can open a tiny store in town...we'll be alright. I promise, I won't let anything happen to you", he said and I pulled away to look him in the face. He does know I'm still volunteering for the games right. How's he going to protect me from the arena.....
I smiled and we got into the car. We drove home in silence.
When we got home we told the boys about the news and they all seemed bummed. Then it hit me. I only had 2 months left in Panem. The reaping was coming closer and I would be without the guys...and Nikki...and everyone else I cared about.
I decided from this moment on I wasn't going to be sad about it. I was going to except it and be strong. Today was a wake up call. I had to start being brave and positive and hopeful. No more sadness. I convinced the boys to go upstairs to the sports room. We played around like idiots and it made us all feel better.
I shot arrows at apples that they placed on their heads. We played monkey in the middle and dodge ball. It was fun.
We ordered pizza from the last place in Panem and ate until Nikki and Liam arrived home. We shared the pizza with them and they kept sending me texts under the table saying they were going to get payback, but I just smiled.
The boys went to watch the news while Nikki and I went to my room to talk about her date.
"Honestly, I'm not mad at you for tricking us into the date. We made up and he asked my out on another date and he kissed me on the cheek which is better than nothing", she said. We both sat criss crossed in the bay window.
"So does that mean I don't have to get payback?" I asked.
"No, your still getting it. You made us walk 12 miles to get back home."
"Great. Well just don't shave my head or eyebrows or anything crazy like that."
"I was thinking about taking your favorite pair of shoes and selling them but I like your idea better."
I looked at her wide eyed.
"How's Xander?" I asked.
"He's good. Working a lot which is good since he's really the one paying for the house now. I got fired, like you and the boys. I barely see him", she says.
"Oh....so are you nervous about..the future Panem or the Games or anything like that", I asked.
I didn't look at her. I played with the tail on my cow. I was trying to be brave and tell her about me doing the games. I only have two months and she needs to know. Maybe it won't be bad at all, maybe she'll be like Harry.
"No. Not this year at least. Katniss's kids get the worst so it won't be bad. Honestly I just think the whole thing is stupid and Snow should find a different hobby instead of killing innocent children. And about the future, in a way I'm kinda excited. I was thinking if we split put money we could by a shop and open a apothecary, or maybe a bakery. Yep just you and me. Maybe we can get some of the boys can join us instead of working in the mines or factories. I think it will make us closer what do you think?"
This was the time to tell her. I just had to say the one sentence and it'll be done.
"Nikki. I don't have a future", I said.
"What do you mean?" She asks.
"I'm volunteering to join the Hunger Games", I said. See it was done. Now she knows.
She started laughing hard.
"What?" I asked seriously and harsh.
"You....are...going....to..the Hunger Games...yeah ok", she said still laughing.
"Nikki, I'm serious", I said and she stopped laughing.
"So you're serious", she asked frowning a little. I nodded my head.
"Why?"
I opened my mouth to answer but she answered herself.
"Hold on let me guess, is it because your a annoying attention seeker or because you have a death wish. You know I miss my mom too but it isn't an excuse to go the Hunger Games!"
I struggled to keep my voice.
"It is none of those reasons, if you'll let me explain", I said.
"Oh please, let's not sit here and pretend that you aren't an annoying attention seeker and rants not the reason why you are volunteering!"
"THATS NOT WHY IM VOLUNTEERING! IF YOU WOULD LET ME CONTINUE...."
"NO. I DONT CARE. IM SORRY THAT YOUR NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR LIFE NOW AND HAVE DECIDED TO GO KILL YOURSELF IN THE GAMES, I REALLY AM. BUT IF YOU JUST WANT TO END YOUR LIFE THEN THIS IS GOODBYE", she screamed getting up.
"FINE! GO! I DONT NEED YOU. I DONT EVEN KNOW WHY I WAS FRIENDS WITH YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE, YOUR JUST AS SELFISH, JEALOUS AND SELF ABSORBED AS ANY OTHER PERSON FROM PANEM. I WONDER IF YOUR FAMILY WAS FROM THE CAPITOL!" I screamed.
"WHERE'D YOU LEARN YOUR INSULTS FROM YOUR DAD?"
"WELL I KNOW THAT YOU DIDNT LEARN YOURS FROM YOURS!"
"YOURE RIGHT! I LEARNED IT FROM MY BROTHERS! MY FAMILY! IM SURE YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS, OH WAIT...."
"GET OUT AND DONT EVER COME BACK", I YELLED.
"DONT HAVE TO TELL ME TWICE. HOPE YOU DIE FIRST", she called out as she left my room and slammed the door really hard.
I got up and paved and then flopped on my bed and began sobbing. I felt like I was alone. I just lost my best friend. This was my last time crying, because I made a promise to be brave. I'm emptying all my tears now, because I'm not going to shed one for the rest of my life.
I don't know what I expected Nikki's reaction to be, probably nothing like how that went. I just want to be alone. I heard arguing downstairs and Nikki saying move to someone.
There was a knock and Harry spoke in a soft tone.
"Can I come in?" He asked.
"No. Not right now, I just want to be alone", I said in a polite tone. Just because I'm mad at the universe, doesn't mean I have to be mad at anyone else.
Harry listened to me and didn't return. I kept crying and crying until I couldn't no more. I sulked around my room for a few more hours. I then took a shower and went to the drawing room. Nothing like drawing at 2 a.m to make someone feel better.
It cleared up my mind and Nikki's words finally started playing through my mind. I wonder if I'm looking for attention? Am I and attention seeker?