Chapter 20 - The Fight Begins

Everything seemed to slow and my vision became distorted as fear enveloped my body. I was being placed in a prison in my own mind. All I could do was watch as the others scrambled around. Some of the pack were already outside on guard along with most of the Cullens. Jacob, Edward, and Bella remained in the room with me. I could hear them talking back and forth but it all meshed together, making no sense at all. They turned to me, trying to say something but all I could do was stare. Jacob shook my shoulders a little causing me to refocus. "Now is not the time to stop functioning," Edward stated with a little edge to his voice. I nodded curtly and leaned into Jacob. "She's going to have to stay here. There's no time to move her. I can hear them coming," Edward exclaimed, facing Jacob. Bella touched my shoulder encouragingly and trying to calm me down. Oddly enough, it actually helped. Even though we never really talked, I wanted to get to know her better as a friend. I hoped to get the chance.

      "Stay in here and stay out of sight. Hopefully my scent will block your's," Jacob declared looking down at me. "We're going to join the others. Hurry Jacob," Bella said taking Edward's hand and disappearing out the front door. "Listen Dani, I know this isn't our ideal plan but I won't let anything happen to you. No leech will get through our barrier," Jacob said holding my face in his hands. I looked into his big brown eyes. In them I saw hurt, worry, determination, and fear. I'm sure they were a reflection of the feelings that were held in mine. Aaron was close and the pack along with the Cullens were being sent into this fight that was brought on by me. I tried not to think about Alice's visions or that someone could get killed. I wish Jacob could just stay here with me. To hold meas the fight went on around us. At least then I would know he was safe. But that would be selfish of me. He needs to be there for the others. I wanted Jaocb to be completely focused. I needed him to come back to me in one piece. "I trust you Jacob. Now go, the others need you," I replied giving him the best smile I could muster to keep him as he fought to protect me. He leaned down and gave me an eager kiss before bolting out the door.

       I cross my arms over my chest and sit down on the sofa. The Cullen's living room was almost totally of windows that were floor length. The only parts that weren't were the corners and the entrance way. I slowly got up and crept over to the corner wall to glance out the window. The Cullens and the pack now in wolf form were lined in a blockade in front of the house facing the woods. Movement came after a second or two and Aaron followed by at least twenty others emerged from the treeline. From where I stood, Aaron didn't look any different except for being paler but after the past week...I knew better. I could see Carlisle's mouth moving but I couldn't understand what he was saying. A smirk played on Aaron's lips before he glanced at the windowed living room. I flew back beind the wall praying he didn't see me. I heard snarls and then what sounded like clashes of thunder.

       I snuck another look to see that the fighting had begun. I made sure to have only a minimum of my head exposed. Just enough that I could see. Everyone was moving so fast that they almost blurred together. I scanned the scene. Trees were being snapped, bodies were being thrown across the yard. I watched for Jacob or Paul but I couldn't tell the difference with how they moved. I tried my best not to devert my eyes from the limp, life-less bodies of the enemies that clued me in that we were winning. I was so anxious about making sure no one I liked or loved were getting hurt that I forgot to keep my eyes out for Aaron.

      It wasn't until a voice broke the stillness in the room that I realized my mistake. "Hello Danielle," I heard the voice say. I felt myself freeze up with fear. My eyes grew wide, the color drained from my face and my heartbeat rapidly increased. I would know that voice anywhere and as I turned my body to face the intruder, I already knew it was Aaron.

Jacob's POV

      The fight was going good. After Carlisle tried to get them to leave peacefully, which we all knew wouldn't work, we couldn't hold anymore. Aaron was a smug son of a gun and the more he stood there with a smirk on his face, the more I wanted to rip it off. I didn't get my chance to shred him to pieces because one of his groupies lunged at me first. The vampires that were against us weren't as strong as we thought. They were being killed left and right with any of us barely getting a scratch. Even the young wolves were putting up an effective fight. I wanted to kill Aaron myself but he wasn' anywhere near me. Someone else was probably getting the pleasure and satisfaction right now.

      "How's everyone holding up?" Sam asked in the pack's heads. Everyone's response was fine or ok. We had cut the group down to about ten when my stomach dropped. A blood curtling scream erupted from the house's direction and it all but caused me to collapse to the ground. It had to be Dani. She was in trouble and I needed to get to her. "Go!" Paul screamed at me before tackling the vampire I had been fighting.

      I turned quickly and sprinted toward the house judging my best and fastest way to reach Dani. I dodged the others on my journey. I shouldn't have left her alone. How stupid could I be? I should have stayed with her to make sure she was safe. If anything bad happened to her, I'd never be able to forgive myself. I told her that I would protect her. She is my everything. I'd be lost without her. I pushed my legs harder as I reached the side of the house. I had to get to her. There was no other option.