Chapter 2 - The Pack

Ok like GLTAI, this was a story I wrote this story back in my high school days so it's not my best but I'm posting it anyway!! :)

************************************************************************************************************

     The sky had considerably darkened as I walked along with Paul. I could see the fire clearly and could see a group of people already gathering around it. As we walked up, I became nervous. What if they didn't like me? What if I didn't fit in with their pre-made group? I pushed those feelings back and put on a smile. I caught different people's expression. All of them seemed light and carefree, something I had been missing lately. "Hey guys," Paul said casually heading to the group while I stayed a little behind. He greeted all the guys with a handshake of some sort. Childish really for my nineteen year old cousin.

     Every guy at the bonfire was huge. They all had tanned skin and shortly cropped black hair. Not to mention the muscles each of them possessed. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were all related. It was hard to believe that they were all teenagers or maybe mid-twenties. I noticed the prescences of three girls. One had a very angry disposition while the others seemed fairly happy. One of them had three pretty gruesome scars across her face but she acted as if they weren't there. "Who's the girl Paul? A new fling?" I heard one of them say that pulled me from my own thoughts. Before Paul could respond, I did. "Ew, definetly not. I'm his cousin Danielle but I liked to be called Dani," I replied. I received a few waves and hellos as Paul introduced everyone. There was Jared with his girlfriend Kim, Embry, Sam with the girl with the scars whose name was Emily, Leah who was the angry one, Seth, and Quil who was the guy that spoke. I shook all their hands. Most of them had skin that felt incredibly hot to me but I just dismissed it because they had been around the fire.

      "Jacob's the last one but I guess he's late," Paul exclaimed as I turned to face him. "Don't worry, I'm here," I hear behind me coming from the direction where all the cars had been parked. "About time," Embry called. I turned around to see Jacob walking up. He hadn't looked at me yet as he walked. I could tell that he was like the others...tan skin, black cropped hair, and muscled. All the boys were cute but he was on a different level. The sight of him took my breath away. No stop. I can't be thinking this right now, I thought still watching him. He finally glanced up at the group and then met eyes with me. His chocolate brown eyes were warm and friendly. He stopped in his tracks and just stares at me. I look back and then steal my gaze away feeling my cheeks flush. I look around and see the others staring back and forth between me and Jacob. Some whispered, others smiled widely like they knew something I didn't, but Paul had a look of absolute fury. He was even shaking a little until I saw Sam stand up beside him and whisper to him.

     All the staring and whispering was starting to make me uncomfortable. I had to break the awkwardness. "Hi, I'm Danielle......Paul's cousin," I stated, extending my hand for him to shake. He seemed to snap out of a type of trance and gently took my hand in his. "Nice to meet you," he replied shaking my hand. His hands were soft but the unusual heat was there just like the others. The reason couldn't be the fire with him though. He had just arrived. I smile up at him and take my hand back. He smiles in return before I go and sit where Paul had dropped off our stuff. The people around the bonfire seemed to back to normal, talking and goofing off. I noticed that Paul and Sam were both talking to Jacob away from the others. Paul very heatedly and Sam calmer. I scanned the others. Quil, Seth and Embry were goofing off and throwing a ball around. Leah was sitting by herself in thought. Emily smiled and seemed content in reading her book. Jared and Kim were cuddling closely and being all lovey dovey. It was cute.

     It brought back memories I was fiercely trying to forget. The memories of good times with friends I had left behind, of love that consumed, and of strong companionship. I could feel tears threatening to form but I quickly composed myself. I didn't want the others to see me cry especially when I just met them. I slowly got up and started to walk down the beach. The moon and the stars were shining brightly and reflecting off the water. The sand felt cool against my bare feet. I found a spot to sit that I could still see the fire from the bonfire even though it was small now. I took a deep breath, smelling the forest behind me blend with the smell of the water.

     This place was so different from St. Louis. No big buildings, no noisy streets, and no bright lights. Here I could see the sky and have a peaceful place to think. However, I knew no familiar faces. I mean, I have Paul, but I wouldn't be able to open up to him like I could my old friends. The people at the bonfire had probably grown up together and have been friends for as long as they could remember. I just didn't fit into their equation. I pulled my knees to my chest and rested my chin on them with my arms holding them to me. I sighed softly and looked out at the water. I wonder if anything will ever be the same.