chapter twenty two

August

POW! Shit. I'm hit. I try to speak but nothing comes out. What the fuck is going on? I hear laughing and it sounds so familiar.

Where's Milan? Where's Micah? A million and one thoughts race across my mind as I lay there bleeding out. I can't go out like this. I promised her I'd never leave again. Tears fall. I see someone running over to me. "August!" Milan caresses my face. A look of sorrow turns into a smirk. She kisses my lips, "You know you can never trust a Santiago."

"Nooo!!!" I sit up in a cold sweat. "Bae you good?" Milan asks raising up cutting the light on. I look over at her. "I'm fine."

"You sure?"

I regulate my breathing, "Yeah. Go back to sleep."

"You don't wanna talk about it?" She asks rubbing my knuckles. I move my hand back. "I'm good." I don't know what the fuck that was about but it felt too real.

"Alright..." She cuts the night off then lays back down. After a few minutes, I lean back down. Milan grabs my arm and sits it around her.

I lay there tossing and turning after Milan falls back asleep. I can't take this shit. I get out the bed and reach inside my drawer pulling out a bag. Walking over to the balcony carefully opening the door. The sun is slowing peeking up from the horizon.

So much has happened within the last ten years. I never pictured myself here at this point. I'll be glad as hell when all this is over. I inhale slowly then exhaling.

My phone rings but who's calling me this damn early. "What's good?" I answer. "August, it's Governor Trenton."

"Didn't think I'd be speaking to you so soon."

"I got what you wanted done."

"Prove it."

"Check the system yourself. Neither of your names will be there. I'm a man of my word. You saved my life and my girl's. We're forever in debt to you."

"What about Andre?" I ask referring to our older brother. "He will be released as soon as you land."

"So we're all clear?"

"Every single last one of you. Clean as a whistle." He says. "Once I check into that myself, I'll send you what you want."

"Do you have an expected arrival time?"

"Not right now."

"Okay."

"After this I'm done T. I can't keep this shit up."

"I understand August. We can discuss things once you arrive."

"Alright cool. Thanks bro."

"I'll see you soon little brother."

"Later."

------

I see my mother name come across my screen. "Hey mama."

"August it's something you need to know."

My heart drops at the sound of her tone, "What?"

"The kids told me everything and you're going to need to sit down for this one."

-------
I walk down stairs to see Jae and Andrew already up. "What's good y'all?"

"Morning." Jae mumbles. "What's wrong with you?"