chapter twenty

August

"Mama I told her." She looks up and smiles at me. "Finally August. Now when am I meeting this girl?"

"Soon ma. Now still ain't the best time cuz I ain't told her everything."

"She's stuck around this far with everything else. You may as well let it all out." I stroke my goatee and lean back against the wall. "It's not that easy. Milan is the strongest woman-" My mother clears her throat. "You know what I'm saying up until a few months ago I didn't know you were alive." She laughs, "Go on boy."

"Milan is tough but fragile as hell too." My mother nods her head. "Well you couldn't hide us forever August and the truth is bound to come out."

"I know and I'm going to tell her everything.... Where's Kenya and Kendrick?" I ask noticing neither one came to the door. "They're in the back sleeping. When am I meeting my other grandchildren?"

"It's just one other one. You'll meet Armani soon." I say checking the time. Armani is in the car knocked out sitting with Rosa.

"Okay. Have you spoken with Karema?"

I nod my head yes, "She came by last night. She's fine."

"Did you give her money?"

"No I didn't and I'm not going too."

"August that's your sister."

"We both know what she would've been doing with that money."

"Yeah I guess you're right.... How do you really think Milan is taking all of this?"

"Honestly I don't know but I need to be getting back to the house."

She sighs, "Alright then."

"I'll see you later mama.... Y'all will be at the house soon."

"Alright."

I walk out the door and get to the house. "Mani go inside with Rosa." If Milan is up she's probably wondering where she is. "Daddy I wanna go with you." Rosa looks at me, I shrug my shoulders. "If Milan asks just say I'm out shopping. Don't speak on Manina." She nods her head and shuts the door.

I pull in the strip to stop by the store. "Aye boss we got a new shipment in."

"I'm straight on that J. Just came in to get my ladies something." I respond walking over to the clothes. "What you looking for swimsuits? Dresses?"

"Some dresses. Which one do you think mama would like?" I ask Armani.

"Maybe this one." She says running her hands through the red fabric.

While I'm looking at the dresses I notice a black SVU pulls up. Some niggas in all black hop out. "J." He looks at me and I tilt my head towards the door. These shit can only mean one or two things and neither have good outcomes.

"Armani stay low on the ground, alright?" I grab my gun from my waist and duck low myself. "Daddy are you going to use that?" Armani whispers. "Only if it's necessary baby. Shh.."

The bell at the door rings and I can see the top of the niggas head walking up to the counter. "How can I help you?" J asks. "Jose you know why we're here. Carlos needs his money."

J sticks his teeth, "Carlos got his money. Why is he hassling me now." He starts speaking some shit in Spanish. I hear a gun clock back. "Santana needs his money!"

Santana? This can't be the small nigga. I thought he said Carlos at first. "I don't owe shit to Santana. He can suck my-" POW! I get up and start shooting making sure I cover Armani.

After all these niggas are down I go up to check on J. "J!"

"Stupid niggas." J says clutching his chest. "Go to the back and check on my grandma. Tell her to bring her potion." He says. I nod my head and walk to the back.

"What's happening?" An older women says. "Everything is okay now. Jose has been shot. He said bring the potion." She smiles and walks to the back.

I go back out to see Armani running over to me. "Daddy can we go home now?"

"Yeah. Come on. Jose your grandma is coming."

"Alright. Thanks August."

"Aye you got somebody to get these bodies up?" I ask . "Yeah it's covered."

"Alright."
------------

We walk into the house. "Where the hell have y'all been?" Milan asks. "Rosa didn't tell you we went to the store?" I ask casually. "And men came in there-" I tuned out the rest of Armani's statement. I breathe in and out heavily feeling Milan stare a hole into the side of my face.

"Princess go play with Cai." Don't walk off Armani. She lets go of my hand. Damn it. "Okay mommy. Cai!" She yells running off. "Meet me in this room woe." If she ain't taking no clothes off I ain't bout to meet her anywhere. "AUGUST!" I suck my teeth walking inside the room.

"We was buying you dress and some niggas rolled up in there on Jose. I had her covered."

"I don't give a flying fuck if you had her covered! You already know that store is no place for a five year old! I don't wear that cheap ass shit anyway. Jose sells drugs, nigga shouldn't have no fucking dresses in that bitch!"

"Milan you know I wasn't about to let shit happen to Mani. You so fucking ungrateful. It's the thought that counts."

"Ain't no fucking thoughts. You did that shit to cover your damn tracks. Your mother called to see if you made back." She says rolling her eyes.

Man she just had to call! "I stopped by there to check on them."

"Why you just couldn't tell me that August? Stop being secretive about shit."

"I'm sorry. So it's some I need to tell you."

"What's up? If it's a lie you can keep that shit."

"Nah man it's not. I have a sister."

"Where the fuck all these family members coming from?"

I laugh, "Man out the damn woods somewhere." She sits down beside me on the bed. "Baby seriously. Are you sure? I don't have time to deal with another Angel situation."

"I'm sure baby. She's legit this time."

"I'm just letting you know now I'm treading lightly on them until I know they're legit."

"Milan-"

"August I didn't say you have too but I am. You do you." She says cutting me off. "I guess but check this shit. Apparently Jose owes some money to Santana."

"Santana, Santana?" I nod my head. "That nigga is a agent what could he be doing still selling drugs?"

"Unless Santana didn't die that night we were on vacation."

"The other twin?"

"Yeah. Chris said he would take care of it that night and shit I thought he did. That nigga wasn't ever heard from."

"What the fuck is going on man?"

"I don't know but shit ain't adding up."