chapter eight

I wake up wishing last night was a dream but the bare-ness on my finger let's me know otherwise. He didn't bother to explain and I got tired of asking why. I feel as though I should've fault harder but all he was trying to see is me signing the papers.

Honestly I still just don't understand. I've been up thinking of every possible option. Maybe he had to stay hidden, maybe it was for our safety, but nothing can explain why he'd go as far as a divorce. We're legally unmarried now. Is unmarried a fucking word? How the hell do I explain this shit?

"Milan! Your friend is here." Nisha says. I don't even feel like getting out of bed. "Alright!" I yell still laying here. How did this happen? My phone rings and a unknown number pops up. Who the fuck is this? "Speak." I say into the phone. "Check the bottom left drawer." Click. I get up and walk over to the dresser.

After digging and realizing I'm looking on the right side rather than the left, I pull out a small bag.

Baby I know this makes no sense but it had to be done. As for the pictures I can explain those...

This nigga here man, on mute about everything else but he can explain the fucking pictures.

They are what they seem but shit happened. You're probably wishing you shot my ass when you had the chance too huh? I already know. In due time every question you have there'll be an answer. I'll always be watching.

Love,
August

I reach inside the bag and pull out my wedding ring. None of this shit still makes sense. If anything it's made shit so much worse than what it was. What the fuck was this letter supposed to do? I should've shot his ass but I should've gotten that bitch address first. I need to meet the bitch, before I kill her, who has the power to make my whipped ass nigga cheat on me, divorce my ass, and leave his family.

"Knock, knock." Nisha says walking inside. I slide my ring back on my finger. "What's up?" I ask turning around. "Did you hear me? Cartier is here."

"Oh okay. I'll be down in a second."

"You alright?" She eyes me carefully. "I'm fine. Just a little tired still, that's all." I walk over to the sink and wash my face. As I brush my teeth I glance at my ring. I'm having mixed emotions about this shit. I guess truthfully I don't know what to feel. My emotions are all over the place. Ugh what is wrong with me and my damn life?

I walk down the stairs. "Well good morning sunshine." Cartier teases. "Good morning. What can I do for you?" I ask putting aside my the shattered pieces of my damn life. "I have some more info on Kertury. It's a house she's supposedly at here." I nod my head. "I'm ready lets go check it out. Nisha I know Amber is out with Micai. Do you find watching my kids?"

"Of course not go ahead. Find August." The looks she's giving me lets me know either she heard us or she knows something. I make a mental note to ask her about it later. "Thanks. Let's go Cartier."

We get inside his ride. As we drive off I glance over at Cartier. He has always had the type of demeanor that made his presence known. He reminds me so damn much of my husband. I sigh lightly. I didn't even get a chance to tell August about Santana or Shatarah.

"You alright over there?" Cartier asks. "I'm fine." I respond dismissively. He chuckles, "Sell that to a fool." He confidently says. "Can you not? Not today." I roll my eyes. "Fine." He says.

We arrive at this house. "You packin?"he asks. "Always." I say getting out.

We walk inside the house only to find it being empty. "Damn." Cartier says more frustrated than I am. "I just knew my sources were right on this one."

"Maybe she knows we're on to her." I throw out. I walk around room and up to a table. I see a picture. "She must've knew we were coming." I pick up the picture and show him. "Damn." He says shaking his head.

I take my ring off. "Whoa Milan I know it looks bad but there's no reason to take it that far."

"Oh it's gone far enough for me."

"That's what's bothering you? The pictures?"

"Yes." I answer half way truthfully. "But it's more?" He says staring me down. "What aren't you telling me?" He asks. I hate he knows me so well. I hate it with fucking passion. "It's nothing Cartier. Let's go she's not here." I go to walk out of the house until I'm pulled back in. "Whatever it is you can't tell me."

"I'm sure." I say crossing my arms. "Milan I'm serious."

"I am too Cartier."

He backs up and we walk out of the door. "Want to go grab a bite?" I contemplate on that for a second. "Sure." I respond. We flip around and head back to this restaurant we passed by. To my surprise the doors are getting opened for me and the my chair is getting pulled. "Where'd the gentlemen inside you come from?"

"I ain't really like you like that till like last week so I may as well be a gentlemen towards an old friend." I laugh, "You're so full of it Cartier."

"Just saying." After we order our drinks and food, silence takes over. I wonder why he hasn't went back yet? If I'm not mistaken he's running his own shit too. "Why haven't you went back to work yet?" I ask. "Well I've made it where it runs smoothly by itself so I don't have to be there. I'm enjoying it here."

"All you've done is run up behind me." He laughs, "Your ass does have a nice view." I roll my eyes. "Seriously Cartier, you should get half of a vacation out of this."

"Well show me around Milan. Let's hang. You seem like you could use it and the kids could use some time with their mother." I slightly smile. He's right. Although I've been home I've haven't spent as much time with my babies as I could be. "True. How long you here for?" I ask thinking what all we could do.

"However long. My hotel stay does end tomorrow though."

"You throwing out hints?" I ask looking up at him. "The house could use so testosterone." I laugh, "Prince is enough. But it's a guest room downstairs. It's yours if you want it."

"Might take you up on that offer. I don't know how well your body guard will take me being there."

"Nisha's protective but she'll come around eventually as long as you don't try anything."

He side eyes me, "Try anything like what?"

"Like the night after the restaurant."

"I wasn't the only one who wanted that." He says proudly. "Well no matter how it may appear I don't want anything from you."

"Except for my time and help right?"

"Your help not your time."

"They both go together." He says. "Well you know what I mean. The boundaries have been drawn clear so just follow by those and we're good."

"Yes ma'am."

I get up and walk to the bathroom to answer my phone ringing nonstop. "Yes Shatarah how can I help you?" I answer. "We need an answer." I suck teeth. "It's either you and August and no Kertury or give us him and we'll let you two go free and you can do whatever the hell you want with Ms. Santino." She says reminding me of what's at stake here. I can't believe I'm agreeing to this shit and why I'm still thinking of August when he divorced my ass. "I'll help you."