chapter nine

"Shhh.." I roll over feeling my bed bouncing and hearing Duchess crying. As I open my eyes my husband, ex-August says. "Why are you here?" I ask stretching. "I'm not welcome in my own home any more?" He asks. "Considering how I feel about you.. Not really."

"That's fucked up baby." I chuckle, "Let's list the amount of fucked up shit you've done."

"Hm. I kind of miss that smart ass mouth."

"I kind of miss my old husband, not this nigga I'm looking at now."

"Like I told you shit happened."

"It better be some good ass shit too." I say rolling over facing them. Duchess is sleeping peacefully in her father's arms. "It is." He mumbles.

"I can't imagine what is just that good to make you act like this."

"I can't imagine what you see in that nigga you call yourself hanging round."

"You actually. Your turn."

He laughs, "Me? Milan that nigga will never be me."

"August."

"What?"

"Did you really get her pregnant?" He sighs heavily, "I don't know." My blood begins to boil. "It's yes or no. Did you sleep with the hoe or not?"

"Milan drop it."

"Fuck dropping it."

"Look I can't speak on that shit and I ain't trying to either so drop it."

"You put my child down and leave."

"Our child."

"Now you care about your children? While you playing house with some bitch? That you can't even speak on. It's all bullshit my nigga."

"I still care."

"Fuck you. No you don't."

He gets up and walks out, hopefully to leave. I don't understand what his problem is nor why shit is the way it is. "What's the shit you was talking?"

"August get off of me."

"Do you really want me too Milan?"

"I want you to explain what the fuck is going on."

He caresses my face. "I rather much make love to you than do that." I suck my teeth, "I need answers August!" His lips cover mine. As bad as I want to resist him I can't...

"Milan. Wake up. Ace needs you to come into the office today." Nisha says waking me. "Alright." I say rolling over. I get up feeling quite refreshed. With everything how I felt it I'm wondering if it was just a dream.

I slide my slippers on and head downstairs. "Why does he need me to come in?" I ask grabbing a cup to pour some orange juice. "He didn't say."

I grab my phone to call him. I'm really not to trying to go to that warehouse today. "What's up ace?" I say before taking a gulp of juice. "Dobson has a lead on August. He was seen here recently hanging over on Rose Street." Hm. I wonder what's on Rose Street? "Anything else?" I ask. "Yes.." His tone drops, "I hope you're following the plan."

"Boy I know what I'm doing. Call me if you have anything else on him." I hang up. I'm so sick of these agents trying to keep my ass in check. "What'd he say?" Nisha asks. "Some bout a lead on August."

"Mhm." Nisha says. That's the kind of yeah right, mhm. "Nisha.. What do you know?" I ask. Her eyebrows raise, "What you mean Milan?" I side eye her. "You know what I mean Nisha. What you know about August that I don't."

"Nothing." She say too coolly. "Sha'Nisha Nixon." She drops her shoulders, "I can't tell you."

"Oh we keeping secrets now?" I ask with one eyebrow raised. "Milan no but just know he's not trying to hurt you."

"It's a little too late for that. Spill."

"Milan don't make me be that person."

I laugh, "Oh no I need you to be that person. He won't tell me shit."

"He's been here?" She questions. "Yes he has. The man Amrani says she sees outside, at night, in her room, it's him. He's been watching over us this entire time like a creeping nigga he is."

"So you know about the woman?" Nisha asks. "Kertury?" I question. "Yeah, her being pregnant and all that." I shake my head yes. "Well you know everything I know Milan."

"Except what Nisha? You face gives you away every time and that fidgeting thing you do with your thumb."

She groans, "He's marrying her and helping her takeover the empire that was stolen from her father." As if my he's art wasn't damaged enough I hear this bullshit. "What else?" I ask feeling a knot form in my throat. "Milan I think that's enough-"

"What else Nisha?" I grit through my teeth. "I walked in on him administering a DNA test on Duchess. When I questioned him why, he just say he needed to be sure."

"I need to sit down." A dizziness feeling comes over, everything feels like it's spinning. Nisha pulls out a chair for me. "I'm sorry Milan."

"It's not your fault Nisha. It's mine for getting played like a sucker ass bitch into believing he could- he was the one."

"But he knew you wouldn't get close to Cartier if he was still in the picture. That's another reason for the divorce."

"How do you know about that?" I ask stunned. "I overheard Ace on the phone on morning. I didn't hear anything just that, the plan wouldn't work unless August was fully out the picture."

I've officially been setup for the fucking okey doke. "I can't believe this shit."

A knock on the door interrupts our current situation. "What's up body guard?" I know that's Cartier. "Why are you here?" Nisha asks. "He'll be staying with us for a while." She side eye me. "You know what we were just talking about earlier.. Needing a guy around to do guy stuff."

"Ohh okay cool. Upstairs is off limits." She says before letting him sit down. "Yes ma'am. What's up Milan?"

"Hi Cartier."

"You look..." Stop fucking staring at me. This leads to questions and questions lead to wanting answers. I don't have time for this mind reading shit today. "I look nice? No?" I respond. "Yeah in a messy hair kind of way."

I laugh, "Thanks I guess."

I help him get settled in the room before disappearing upstairs to change into some clothes for the day. August has everything fucked up if he thinks I'm about to just take this shit. While getting dressed I call the security company to change the code on the box.

"Nisha the code is changed. It's 46570. Write that down, memorize it, do whatever you need to do. That dog ass ex husband of mine will not be roaming around here so freely."

"Milan I didn't mean for that to change what ever y'all currently had going on."

"He broke whatever we had the day he sent me then damn divorce papers."

I walk downstairs, "Cartier.." Ow I should we knocked. Damn his body is right. "Sure, I'm not doing anything, just changing shirts, go ahead walk in while I'm undressing." I laugh, "My bad... Um, do you want to ride with me to the store? I need to pick up some locks."

"Yeah I'll ride with you. Can we stop by Richard's BBQ on the way?"

"Sure, if you buying."

He chuckles, "Lemme see what I can break off for one of my original shawtys."

"One of the original? I was your first girlfriend. Or were you really seeing someone else on the side?"

"I walked into that one. You got it. You were the original." He walks towards me sitting his arm around my shoulder as we walk out the house.