CHAPTER ONE

Small author's note:

There are actually no warnings, you can comment whatever the hell is going on in your mind as you read my book whether good or bad cause I'm not exactly a saint when it comes to speaking my mind so why should I force you guys to filter your opinions.

Enjoy!

For The Originals and Vampire diaries lovers

SONG FOR THE CHAPTER:
I see fire-Ed Sheeran

There was a time when girls didn't get to choose or look for their happy ending or their handsome prince and unfortunately I was born in those times. Times when freedom was only a word that had never been brought to life, times when people lived in fear and silence afraid of the consequences should they choose to speak up. Times when the world was a dictatorship, or at least my world was. Évanescent.

Evanescent was the world that I was born into, like a cage surrounded by thick walls and forests preventing you from seeing what lay beyond. After the war between humanity and the beasts of hell, the remaining survivors decided to build a safe haven, a place where their children would be safe from the hounds of Hell and would never have to go through such a fight as they did. It took years, decades even to build the wall tall and strong enough to keep the creatures out but eventually they completed it, and thus Evanescent was born. According to the elders, who had lived in Evanescent longer, Evanescent was a blessing, it was a community of protection, a place where humans came together and never had to fear death from those unearthly beings. But as the years went by, the leadership positions were passed on and each new leader was worse than the last, having not experienced what the original founders had, they never understood the importance nor the true reason for creating Evanescent.

They began to abuse their positions of power. Enforcing new rules that were completely absurd and of no benefit to the people of Evanescent. They became dictators and that's when Evanescent changed for the worse.

I was born long after the good Evanescent era was over so I didn't think about it too much but for my Grams who had seen the 'good' Evanescent, she couldn't stop reminiscing.

For people like me, Evanescent was a lot worse because I was what was considered 'beautiful'. In any other place that would be a blessing and I would probably be thanking my lucky stars but in Evanescent, beauty was a curse.

I was never really aware of my looks because there was no one to tell me 'wow you're pretty' due to Evanescent's laws which strictly forbid interaction between males and females under the age of eighteen.

But ever since I turned sixteen my mother had been making me step out of the house more often to do some shitty task so that she could expose me to the opposite sex. I hated it though, I felt like some shiny object being dingled in front of a bunch of lustful dogs.

But that's not what I hated most, its the fact that according to Evanescent you don't own your life they do, as in the leaders of Evanescent. They controlled everything we did and they had the power to create any laws they wanted which had to be obeyed and failure to do so would lead to life imprisonment or worse.

These laws are against anything that involves independence almost as if they knew that if even one of us was to become independent in any way then Evanescent would cease to exist.

They decided everything for you, as in before your birth was even an idea Evanescent already had a name picked out for you.

Another crazy law was that parents could only have two children and they had to be two girls or two boys no boy and girl, no brother and sister.

Assuming you did get a boy and a girl, the boy became an outcast, basically they became the slaves of Evanescent or sometimes when they were too many outcasts, they would be thrown outside the gates and the monsters that lurked outside Evanescent would kill them.

That was another thing about Evanescent, they gave priority to girls because we were the ones who ensured the continuation of humans. But that didn't mean we were treated like queens, nope we were treated like baby making machines and housewives.

What marriage meant to Evanescent was that when girls were of age, meaning 18, they're  put up for auction and the 'beautiful' girls would go to the wealthiest guys and the less beautiful girls would get the remaining ones.

The worst part was these guys could be well over 40 but as long as they had enough money they could walk away with an 18-year old wife plus these guys looked like they had been living in the armpit of the world.

Which is why being beautiful to me sounded like more of a curse than a blessing. It meant that I was a target for all the old wrinkly men who were eagerly waiting for me to turn eighteen so they could buy me.

According to Evanescent, wives are supposed to be maids and baby-making machines for their husbands so these guys treated their wives like shit.

I constantly begged my parents to do something so that I didn't have to get married but my mother been the Evanescent-worshipper that she is, would only tell me to be grateful that I would get a wealthy man.

So ever since I turned 17 I'd spent most of my nights trying to devise an escape plan but this place was like a maze.

At least now I know what hell is---- a fucked up maze called Evanescent.

Well what do you guys think?
It gets better..... I think
Comment :)
-Abbtenie