Jasper Whitlock - Part III

The Memories - Part III
As soon as their eyes connected, memories he recently regained started ambushing him again.

"Come on, darlin', push!"
"I promise I'll come back to you and your mother."
"I love you, Lucy Belle."
"Welcome to the world, Hope Elizabeth Whitlock."
"The name's Jasper Whitlock -

"What are you doin' in ma' house?" Lucy snapped, glaring at them, not even stopping to look at Jasper. "You're on a vampire's territory."
   "Lucy. . ." Jasper took a step towards her. "Oh my God, you're a vampire -"
   "How do you know my name?" Lucy snapped, taking a threatening step towards him. "I don't know you."
   "Lucy -" Jasper brought her into a hug, despite his family's concern. "I can't believe it! We can be together again -"
   "ENOUGH!" Lucy yelled, shoving him away. "I don't know you, you creep!" Jasper flew back from the push and crashed into the wall, making him go into the other room. Jasper's eyes filled with venom at the sight of the nursery room he and Lucy created for Hope. He saw Lucy (obviously), but where was Hope? Their daughter? He was pulled out of his thoughts by Carlisle, Alice and Esme rushing to him.
   "Jasper, are you okay?" Alice rushed out. "Jasper!"
   "This is. . ." Jasper whispered, staring at the nursery in awe from the spot he landed. It was just like it was centuries ago; the crib was to the right of the door, the changing table at the back corner, the opposite corner full of toys. The wall to the left was the cupboard full of baby clothes. "It's still the same."
   "What are you on about?" Lucy walked up to them with the other woman trailing behind, staring at the hole in the wall with a frown. "Great, now I have to fix this again."
   "Lucy, it's me." Jasper told her desperately, standing up. "It's Jasper."
   "Jasper?" Lucy frowned.
   "Yes! Jasper Whitlock, your husband and the father of Hope Elizabeth Whitlock, our daughter." Jasper rushed out. "There's a photo album in our bedroom with photos of us!"
    "The photo album on the nightstand? I only found it this morning. I haven't opened it yet." Lucy said slowly.
   "But I have." The woman behind Lucy took a step forward. Jasper stared at her and couldn't help but notice the similar hair she had that was like his. Brown and wavy. And then her facial structure looked a lot like Lucy. . .
   "Hope?" Jasper realised. He raised a hand to his mouth in disbelief. "Is that you?" The last time he saw her, she was only a year old, barely saying any words. Seeing her all grown up and mature. . .
   "Yeah, it's me, Dad." Hope gave a small smile. "Hello again."
   "Hope -" Lucy said.
   "Ma, look at him." Hope interrupted her. "It's Dad. It's Jasper Whitlock."
   "No, it can't be." Lucy shook her head. "I remember seeing the list at the town. One of the soldiers that went missing and possibly dead was Jasper -"
   "Because I got turned." Jasper explained. "I was making my way to Galveston when I got turned by Maria -"
   "Maria?" Lucy's eyes turned black, a growl growing in her throat. "That little wench turned me to this monster."
   "She did?" Alice asked her.
   "Yeah." Lucy nodded tensely. "After I saw Jasper's name on the list I ran into the forest to mourn. She caught me there and attacked me. Something seemed to have caught her attention because the next thing I know, she's gone leaving me there to die. And then I wake up, thirsty, and attacked the closest thing to me: a deer. And then I remembered about Hope and went home and tended to her."
   "When I turned eighteen, Ma changed me." Hope spoke up. We've been living here ever since."
   "Without a husband. Without a father." Lucy said blankly. Jasper felt immense guilt at their words. If he hadn't have been turned. . .
   "Lucy. . ." Jasper made his way in front of her. "Lucy, I am so sorry for putting you and Hope through this. I shouldn't have joined the army -"
   "It's too late anyway." Lucy grumbled. "It's done. In the past."
   "Why didn't you come for us?" Hope asked him, hurt in her voice. "Why didn't you come after you were turned?"
   "When I was turned, I never got the memories of you or your mother." Jasper explained sadly. "I thought I had no one to go to."
   "Then why are you here?"
   "I started getting small glimpses from the past. It wasn't until a vampire unlocked all my human memories did I remember about you two. I wanted answers - needed them. So I came here with my coven." Jasper gave them a small pleading smile. "Come with me. Live with my coven. Catch up from all those years. No way am I losing you two again."
   "No." Lucy shook her head, much to his horror. "This is my home. I have lived here for centuries. This is where I raised Hope, where I feel at peace. I don't even know what's happening in the world now."
   "We'll help you adjust to this world." Esme told her. "We'll make sure you'll also feel comfortable - and with Jasper here to help you -"
   "I don't remember much about Jasper." Lucy admitted. "He's basically a stranger to me." Jasper felt his heart break in two. He felt horrible that his wife didn't know who he was. His daughter, however. . .
   "I remember him." Hope spoke up. "I-I mean, I remember being read stories and hearing laughter around me - a happy family life. When I saw that photo album, memories of Dad came rushing towards me." Hope turned to Lucy. "Ma, I wanna know more about Dad. I only know little about him because of my young age."
   "Please," Jasper added, "I only just found you two. Let us be together again. Let me make it up to you both."
   "You left me all alone with our daughter, having ran away from our homes." Lucy said lowly.
   "I know," Jasper nodded guiltily, "I'm sorry."
   "Do you know how hard it was to raise a human child? Without sucking the child dry whenever near? It was hard, Jasper. I couldn't do this without you -"
   "But you did, Lucy!" Jasper cupped her face in his hands. "You did raise our child into a beautiful young woman. Look at her! She's kind, and beautiful all because of you. Like mother like daughter. You're a strong independent woman, Lucy Whitlock. You could survive without me like you have all these years. And I am so proud of you." Jasper leaned his forehead against hers, closing his eyes tightly. "So proud." he whispered. "One of the reasons why I love you."

***

Years later. . .
"Daddy!" Hope walked into the living room with a smile. "I have a date!"
   "What!" Jasper dropped the book he was reading on his lap in shock. Hearing from the bedroom, Lucy sped down the stairs beside Jasper. "A date?"
   "Ooh, what's his name?" Lucy beamed. "Is he a gentleman like your father?"
   "Wait -"
   "He is, Ma!"
   "Wait a sec-"
   "What's all the ruckus about?" Esme walked into the living room followed by the others.
   "I have a date!"
   "Oh my God!" All the girls squealed, going to Hope.
   "Congrats, Hope!" Rosalie beamed.
   "We got to help with your outfits!" Alice gasped.
   "Wait, guys -" Jasper tried to say.
   "What is he like?" Bella asked her curiously. "Someone from school?"
   "Yeah, his name is Damon -"
   "Hope -"
   "When is the date?" Lucy interrupted Jasper. "You are allowed to go any day - or night if there's anything interesting going on -"
   "NO!" Jasper finally yelled, stopping their excitement. "No, no, no, no, NO! No way is my little girl going on a date! I won't allow it!"
   "Aw, Daddy!" Hope complained.
   "No." Jasper stubbornly said. "You are too young for this -"
   "I am over two hundred years old." Hope scoffed, along with the others. "If anything, he is too young for me -"
   "A human? You know how dangerous that is -!"
   "Jasper," Lucy giggled, "shut up."
   "But. . ." Jasper looked lost and crestfallen. "What if he's not good for her?"
   "Dad. . ." Hope brought him into a hug. "I'll be fine, I promise. I know you only just got me back, but you can trust me, I'll be fine."
   "You promise?" Jasper mumbled into her hair.
   "I promise."
   "Besides," Emmett spoke up, "if that guy ain't good, he has Jasper and us men to talk to."
   "That actually makes me better." Jasper admitted. "If he ever hurts you, just tell me and I will -"
   "No killing, darlin' -"
   "-hurt him a bit." Jasper said, giving Lucy a sheepish grin. When the girls and Carlisle weren't looking, Jasper mouthed to the boys, "We're killing the guy if he hurts her".
   All the men -except Carlisle- laughed loudly at Jasper, earning strange looks from the rest. Already knowing what happened, Lucy shook her head with a smile. "You sure are somethin', Jasper." Lucy said, smiling at him adoringly.
   "And you love me for it." Jasper grinned, giving her a loving kiss. He pulled away and gave her one last smile before turning to his daughter with a serious look. "What time and when is the date?"
   "This Friday. He's picking me up at six."
   "Right. . ." Jasper sucked air through his teeth. So soon? "You are to arrive back at home before ten."
   "Okay -!"
   "And if anything bad happens that Alice sees, I am there."
   "Um, okay -"
   "And I want to meet this bast - I mean guy."
   "Dad!" Hope complained. "You're just going to scare him away!"
   "No I won't." Jasper assured her. "I just want to make sure he's good for you."
   "Okay, okay." Hope sighed.
   "Now let's pick out your clothes!" Alice exclaimed excitedly. When everyone went to do what they wanted to do, it was just Lucy and Jasper. The past couple of years had been amazing; Lucy agreed to moving with Jasper to Forks, leaving Texas - though the cottage was still there for them. Amelia came back and gave Lucy her memories of Jasper and her life back, making her fall back in love with Jasper like he did with her. Everything was perfect.
   Jasper sat comfortably in his seat with Lucy at his side, holding her close. "Our little girl is all grown up." Lucy murmured.
   "Hmm. . ." Jasper hummed. "I don't like it."
   "Oh shush," she playfully whacked him on the chest, "our girl needs some love, being surrounded by couples. She's a grown, mature, independent girl -"
   "Which is why she doesn't need a man in her life." Jasper nodded. Lucy whacked him again with a laugh. "No, you're right. Hope deserves some love."
   "That's my man." Lucy grinned, giving him a quick kiss. Jasper didn't like that however and pulled her in again for a deeper kiss.
   "I love you." Jasper whispered sincerely against her lips. Lucy smiled against their lips, giving him another kiss.
   "And I love you." she told him. Everything was back to being nice and peaceful - except instead of getting glimpses of memories twenty-four-seven, his mind was at ease, and he didn't need the memories when he had the girls in his life. It was a content peace in their life, something that he hadn't experienced since his human days when he was with Lucy and Hope. And Jasper loved it.

The End