Chapter 40 - I Trapped Ayaan

"This is all your fault" he says
"My fault? How?"
"I dunno" he shrugs
"Ayaan I can't control the traffic" I say bluntly and he sighs.
"We're going to be late" he groans. I look at him and wonder why he's trying so hard. I could tell the whole time he's been nervous since he's been clenching and unclenching his fists.

After contemplating a lot I decide to put my hand on his upper arm. At first the hardness of his muscles surprises me but I quickly push out the thought.
"Ayaan, it'll be fine"
He nods. Once again his hand clenches the wheel. I sigh.
"We're only going to be a little late and I'm sure your family won't mind" I continue. He sighs.
"I know. I just. I want them to be happy with us you know"
"Then don't try too hard. Be yourself and I'm sure they'll be fine with everything"
"We didn't tell them that I was getting married until after the Nikkah" he blurts. I raise my eyebrows but nod.
"So we'll try even harder to make sure they're not angry"
"You won't be able to take it"
"Why's that?" I unconsciously rub my thumb from side to side on his arm.
"They're very straight forward and picky. You'll find their way of thinking hard to decipher and a little old fashioned. You will most definitely say something to make them angry"
"Is that another challenge?"
"If you can take it" he shows a small smile.
"Oh I can and I will. I will most definitely win over your family" and fix things up I think in my head.

"Well unless you like staying still at a green light I suggest we carry on driving"
"Right sorry"

It took some time but I realised that I still had my hand on his arm. I let go and leave my hands on my lap.

"Well we're finally here"
"Where exactly are we?"
"Bradford"
"Ok"
"In about ten minutes we'll be there"
"Cool" I say feeling the nervousness act up.

He swerves the car making me fall onto him. I look up to see him looking intently at me. I gulp then get up and fix myself. I hear him clear his throat then abruptly stop the car. I look up to see quite a big house.

He sighs deeply.
"Ok we're here" he says almost glumly. I smile reassuringly and then watch as a swarm of people rush out of the house.
I exit the car as soon as Ayaan does.
"Ayaan my son" a lady says as she hugs him and kisses his cheek. I watch as he becomes uncomfortable and secretly wipes the cheek he got kissed on. I surpass a laugh more ladies seem to to do the same.
They all say stuff in a different language which I can't understand.
"Why were you so late?" They scold.
"Actually I-"
"No excuses! You just came and you're already making excuses"
He didn't say anything!
"Actually it was the traffic" I find myself saying.

All eyes land on me making me fidget uncomfortably.
"You must be his wife" the lady that first kissed him says. Judging by the tone I'm guessing she doesn't like me.
I nod.
"Well Masha Allah at least you are beautiful" is that a compliment because the tone of her voice didn't make it seem like one.
"Pardon. Is that supposed to mean anything?"
"No. I called you beautiful didn't I? These days girls cannot take a simple compliment" She raises an eyebrow as if challenging me to argue.
"Forgive me but you said at least. That implies you think I'm lacking in other qualities"
"Well it seems only fitting to call you that since you trapped my son"
"Trapped him?"
"You surely have him under some spell"
"Enough Mausi!" Ayaan speaks
"Beta I'm just saying the truth!"
"It most certainly isn't the truth!" I speak loudly for all of them to hear and look at me.
"Ayaan married me under his own will. I'm not a witch to have him under any spell and I can assure you he most definitely isn't trapped"
"How shameless? You talk whenever you want to? I can see Ayaan's decision to marry you wasn't good at all"
"Mausi" Ayaan tries to intervene but she interrupts.
"Nothing had changed has it? Always was making bad decisions and you still are now"
"Aunty forgive me but his decision wasn't bad at all" I speak but this time more softly. She looks at me and I see some guilt.
"If you will allow us we would like to prove to you that this decision was good in itself"
"Why hasn't Ayaan came inside yet?" I hear a loud yet strained voice. I turn my head to the left to see an old woman at the top of the stairs.
Ayaan then takes my hand and leads me up the stairs. He hugs the old woman and for the first time he smiles.
"Assalamualaikum daadi"
"Walaikumassalam beta" the woman smiles.
She looks at me and I suddenly get self conscious.
"Won't you salaam me?" I hear and look up.
"Assalamualaikum"
She smiles and hugs me. I'm shocked at the action but hug her back.
"I see you're very spirited" she says.
"What?"
"You speak only to defend Ayaan"
My eyes widen as I notice that I did only speak when Ayaan was getting scolded.
"Er.. I-"
"It doesn't matter dear. Come on, come inside I have lots to tell you both" she takes our hands and takes us inside.