Chapter 23 - Talk with Ayub.

"Is that him?" I ask Ibrahim.
He nods.
"Alright"

I walk up to the kid sat on the park bench.
"Is this seat taken?" I ask him. He looks at me and shakes his head but still moves a bit away from me. I sit down and let a silence overtake us.

"You seem stressed" I state.
He doesn't say anything.
"Wanna share?"
He looks at me. I take notice of his features, his brown eyes filled with sadness, his eyebrows creases together, his mouth formed into a frown.

"You're a stranger" he finally says.
"True, but isn't that the best thing? You'll never see me again"
"I guess" he mumbles.
"I was stressed once, maybe more. I always thought keeping it in would make me stronger, instead it made me weaker"
"How?"
"Well. You think you can handle it on your own when actually it just eats you up. Consumes your every thought until you drift off into some other world"

He doesn't say anything. Just when I'm about to give up...
"My brother is really sick" he says, his voice cracking.
"Doctors say he doesn't have much time"
"You believe them"
"Who?"
"The doctors"
"Well duh. They're doctors"
"Well I got that Einstein" I say sarcastically hoping he will smile
I see a really really faint ghost smile making me smile in accomplishment.
"True, they are doctors but anything can happen under the will of Allah"
"I know. I just don't want anything bad to happen"
"So your brother, older or younger?"
"Older"
"Ok. Your older brother is sick and there's not much time for him. Say that's true. Why are you so sad?"
"Are you dumb?" he asks 
"Just listen. If your brother has a time limit now, why are you dwelling in the fact it's a limited time. You should be happy, for one thing Allah is calling him yet is giving him a chance to go to Jannah. Most of us don't even know when we will die so we don't even bother striving for Jannah but he does. And for another thing you need to be his rock. If you're feeling sad imagine how he's feeling. Twice as worse. You need to be the stronger person. "
"Easy for you to say. Have you ever lost someone?"

I swallow the lump in my throat
"Yeah. I have and trust me I was in a worse situation. But all that situation did to me was make me stronger. It was a test from Allah. Think of this as a test from Allah because the end result will surely be worth waiting for"
"I don't get you"

"Those who receive a test from Allah shows that Allah loves you enough to give you a test"
"But why is it so hard?"
"Because the reward is too special. The harder the test the better the reward. Allah tests you in order for you to gain something better in return"
"I guess"

"Why aren't you telling anyone?"
"It's like you said. I thought I could save everyone the trouble of not letting them know. But they will. Eventually"
"Tell them, especially your close one because they are the ones that will provide you with the support you need"
"Thanks"
"No problem"

"You know you're not bad for a criminal"
My eyebrows raise.
"You know who I am?"
"Duh, for one thing I watch some news for another I've seen you with Ibrahim. I also know that he told you about me. It's either he's here with you or he doesn't know about you coming here"
"He's here. But he's waiting over there" I point to the ice cream van where Ibrahim is.

Ayub laughs at the sight of him talking to the ice cream man.
"Ayub, you're a good kid. But listen, you're brother will get what's written for him. Neither me or you can change that. As for the doctors, they have been created by Allah so who says they get to decide what happens. Surely the creator is greater than the creation"
"You're pretty smart"
"Duh" I copy him and he laughs.

We meet up with Ibrahim and I let them two talk for a bit.
"Well well. If it isn't The Muslim Criminal"
I turn around to see Jamal.
"You're never going to leave me alone are you"
He laughs.
"What? I wanna be friends"
"You're a work client. That's it. Do you want me to tell Chief?"
"Tell, he knows"
From the corner of my eye I see Yusra with Ayaan walking up to me.
"Jamal, you need to go from here"
"Why?"
"Please, just go or just agree with whatever I say"
"Zaynaaaa" I hear Yusra's voice.

I kneel down so I'm her height and hug her.
Both Jamal and Ayaan look at each other questioningly.
"Erm. Ayaan meet Mr. Firdous he's a client at work. Mr. Firdous meet Ayaan, he's a friend"
They shake hands but it's brief and they don't seem to like each other.

And awkward silence falls between us.
"Well Ms Ali. We shall continue our discussion at our next meeting" Jamal says before leaving.

I sigh of relief when he goes.
"I didn't know we were friends" Ayaan grins.
"We're not"
"You said it to that guy"
"Well what else should I have said"
"That I'm Yusra's brother"
I don't say anything because he interrupts me.
"I know you're desperate in being my friend just so you can talk to me but that's kinda haram. So I have to tell you I'm sorry but-"
"Shut up Ayaan. It was a slip of the tongue, and besides being friends isn't a huge deal so stop making it"
He grins
"See you later Criminal"
"And stop calling me that!" I shout after him.
"No!" He shouts back laughing.

Ibrahim comes with Ayub and I smile at both of them.
"So, wanna get some ice cream?"
"It's freezing" Ibrahim states.
"I know, I have nerves and I am able to sense things"
"Why would you want to have something cold when it's cold?" Ayub asks
"Why not?"

They look at me making me sigh after a second.
"Fine, who wants hot chocolate?"
"That's better" Ayub smiles.

We walk home and I make hot chocolate with them waiting in the kitchen, then we go to the lounge room and watch a movie. I'm not really into movies so I'm barely paying attention. In fact I'm thinking of what I need to do next. So far I have the papers, the adoption documents, and the recording. Now I get to have my fun...