Chapter 14 - Dinner at Yusra's

I sniff and let out a cough for the sixth time as I try and pin my hijab. I'm wearing a floral print top and a beige skirt matched with a red bag.

Ibrahim comes in wearing the usual waistcoat and jeans, hair styled towards the right letting some strands fall across his eyes yet he doesn't move it away. He always wears jeans with a shirt and a waistcoat for any dinner. This time it's a navy waistcoat with a white shirt and a navy tie matched with black jeans.

I put the last pin in and put my shoes on.
"Are you feeling better?" He asks me for like the millionth time. In these three days I've been ill he hasn't left my side, granted it's sweet and nice but honestly he's just like Chief and Daniel.
"I'm fine Lil bro" I watch as he rolls his eyes.
"You're not really" he says knowing the truth. I sigh while putting two rings on my fingers.
"Yusra wants me to come" I try and reason. Cough
"And do you want to go?" He asks seriously. I don't meet his eyes.
I don't want to go. There will be people there that will probably be the same as all the rest. There will be people that probably can't mind their own business and continue to talk about me and glare and stare at me. What if her mum doesn't like me and doesn't let her hang out with me anymore? This is why I'm making such an effort to look good, I mean never will I ever wear rings on a normal day. I want the mother of my first friend to like me.

"I'm fine with it" I half lie trying to ignore the voice in my head. I cough twice.
"I didn't ask if you were ok with it, I asked if you want to go"
"Ibrahim let's go. We're getting late"
We get out of my room and out of the house.
"Very dressed up kids. Where are we going?" Robert asks once we get in the car.
Ibrahim gives him the address allowing him to drive to the house.

Once the car stops I take the chance to look out of the window. Their house is medium-sized, a garden in front surrounded by a fence, the garden has a path down the middle sectioning it into two parts. You can see plants growing near the front towards the fence on both sides, there's two swings on one side of the garden and on the other there is a bird bath. It looks amazing Masha Allah. Cough.

"Are you coming or what sis?" I hear making me realise I've been in the car for a while. Before getting out I can't help but sneeze and let out some coughs. I get out and suddenly I feel nervous. My hands are a bit clammy and I have slight butterflies filling my stomach.
I follow Ibrahim into the house and wait as he rings the doorbell. A while later the door is answered by a lady. I take the time to figure her out.

The lady looks young, wearing asian clothes that consists of a dress with fitted pants and a scarf hanging on her shoulders. She has a crimson hijab on matching her crimson and black oufit. Her brown eyes hold a glimpse of pain and tiredness but is trying to be hidden by happiness. It's a very forced happiness though, she has faint bags under her eyes but still contains colour on her cheeks.

"Assalamualaikum" I say, the first one to break the silence.
"Walaikumassalam" she replies, "you must be Zayna. Yusra can't stop talking about you" the lady shows a kind smile. I feel a knot at my throat as I remember who she reminds me of.
I nod stifly.
"You must be Ibrahim" the lady says. Ibrahim grins.
"Assalamualaikum" he says.
"Walaikumassalam"

"Oh sorry, come in." She ushers us inside. I hear the familiar squeeling and giggling before I'm crashed to the floor with the same body on me.
"Zaynaaaaaa" the voice fills my ears. I smile as she tries to get off while I lean on my elbows waiting. I'm pretty much used to this now. Ayaan stands against the wall with an amused look on his face, the same expression is copied onto Ibrahim and the lady. I roll my eyes at all of them.

"You came!" She says happily. I smile looking into her beautiful grey eyes.
"Yeah, I couldn't miss it" my smile gets bigger but is taken off by the coughs that I let out.
"Can we play with toys?" She asks hopefully. I nod as she waits for me to get up and then guides me to a room with lots of toys.