Chapter 8 - They can't change my mind

This day is boring. It's the same simple routine, wake up for Fajr, get ready for school, get annoyed because people can't mind their own business, pick Ibrahim up, read Zuhr, read the Qur'an, and continue with the rest of my prayers. Don't get me wrong, I love reading and praying I just wish there was something I could do to keep me busy in between.

Right now, I'm laying like a starfish on my bed staring at the white ceiling. There's so many things going through my mind but I don't want to think about most of them. A knock interrupts the silence I was having with my room.

I open it to see the woman there. She looks at me almost happy to see me. My face doesn't falter, the same cold look is planted. I don't move or say a word.

"Zayna" she finally says. No answer. I despise the sound of my name out of her mouth.
"I erm, wanted to talk to you. May I come in?"
"Why?" My answer is short but my tone is enough to make her flinch.
"This talk is slightly long and private"
"Say it at the door"
"I don't think it is suitable to say it here"
"I do" I snap. She sighs.
"I've come to ask for forgiveness"
As much as I want to frown I don't. I clench my jaw. What's this new problem?
I open the door and allow her to come in.

She enters and stands in the middle of the room.
"Say what you want quickly. I don't like being in the same room as you"
Hurt and pain fills her face but surprisingly it doesn't bother me. I stare at her with an impatient look.
"I'm sorry"
I fold my arms waiting for her to continue.
"I'm so sorry Zayna. I, I don't know how to show you how much I regret what I did to you. I can't believe the things I've done" tears are brimming at her eyes. "I know you hate me a lot, and trust me I would too if I was in your place. I just want your forgiveness"
"Why?"

"Because I know what I did was wrong. I have this gnawing feeling inside of me that is eating me alive everytime I think about what I did. When you weren't here it was easy to live with the pain but now I see you everyday I can't. I can't stand knowing that I've ruined your life to such an extent that you're not even allowed to live it"

"What makes you think I will forgive you?" I ask, swallowing the lump in my throat as memories fill my mind.
"I know you won't. Not yet, but I have to tell you how sorry I am. I really regret what I've done"
"And how do I know you're saying the truth?" I quirk an eyebrow.
"I am. I swear"

"You know Amira" I start "you have a knack for doing things like this. Fake some crocodile tears, put fake expressions on your face, quiver your lips and expect everyone to fall for it. I mean I admit, I did before, but that's when you took the chance to destroy my life" I shrug as if it wasn't a big deal.
"Zayna, I'm seriously speaking when I say I'm sorry. I really am, how can I show you. I hate what I did and I'm paying for the mistake now"

"Oh Amira, poor pathetic Amira" I voice gets more menacing "what you did wasn't a mistake. It was a huge sin, and you have only realised your sin because you're cold, conceited husband no longer has the love for you that he had for her" I watch her face fall and I smirk evily.
"Hurts doesn't it. When the person you love, doesn't love you. Well I mean, I wouldn't know. Everyone that I love and care for, does the same for me. Alhamdulillah" I make sure for more emphasis on Alhamdulillah.

"You've changed" she whispers. I scoff.
"Did you think I wouldn't? I had ten years to change, and trust me when I say, I've changed for the better"
"No I mean, you've gone like him. He speaks like that, they way you just did"
My face doesn't change, it's going to take a lot more than that.
"What do you expect, I am his daughter" I cross my arms and smirk.
She looks shocked but regains herself.

"What do you want?" She asks in a soft whisper. I shrug.
"That, Amira, is not going to be revealed to you. Now as I told you before" I put on a disgusted look on my face "hurry up and say what you want because I can't stand being in the same room as you, you sicken me"
Tears run down her face. Fake tears.
"Zayna, I've said it so many times, I'm sorry. Please forgive me" she pleads. I sigh pitifully
"What have you done to repent?"
"What? I regret what I've done. Isn't that enough, I'm sorry. I've come to ask you for forgiveness"
No that's not enough. She continues talking.