Yule Ball (One-Shot #19)

The reader comforts Hermione after she has a rough night at the Yule Ball.

°º¤øº°°°º¤øº¤øº°°°º¤øº°  

You walked along the many corridors in the castle. It was the night of the Yule Ball and you could hear the music from nearby. You thought it would've been over by now due to it being late. You didn't go, obviously. No one had asked you and the one person you did ask, rejected you in front of everybody. You contemplated going anyway, but no one goes to a ball without a date. You thought that'd be petty. You were heading towards the kitchens, hoping to eat off your frustrations. You turned a corner and saw someone in a baby pink dress walking towards you, crying. They didn't see you due to their head being down and you couldn't see who it was. Naturally, you decided to help the person. You walked up to them and put your hands on their shoulders, stopping them from walking. They jumped and looked up.

"Hey, are you okay...wow," 

You immediately recognized it as Gryffindor's Brightest Witch, Hermione. But she didn't look like Hermione. She looked beautiful. She was wearing her hair up in an elegant bun, which was different to the normal frizzy hair she had. She also seemed to be holding herself differently. You weren't sure how, but you knew. She looked great.

You were snapped out of your thoughts by fingers snapping in front of your face.

"Hello?" She asked, a tad bit annoyed.

"Huh?"  You asked, confused as to what she said.

"I was asking you to move out of the way!"

"Oh. Well I can't right now,"

"And why not may I ask?!"

You could tell she was starting to get impatient.

"Well at least not until you tell me what's wrong,"

"Why the bloody hell would I do that?!"  

"Woah. Calm down, love I was only joking," you tried joking with her, but her expression didn't falter.

You sighed, "I don't believe that it's good for people to hold in their emotions. They need to let it out sometimes,"

Her gaze softened and she looked down, wiping fresh tears.

"It's alright," you said gently before opening your arms.

She looked at you before slowly walking into your open arms. You wrapped your arms around her as you felt her tears stain your shirt.

"Who did this to you?" You whispered, not wanting to disturb her anymore than she already was.

"My dearest friend, Ronald," she mumbled into your shirt.

"Doesn't sound like a good friend to me,"

"He's not that bad. We just bicker a lot,"

"What did he do to make you so upset?" You said softly, rubbing soothing circles on her exposed back.

You felt her sigh, "He ruined my evening. He told me I was fraternizing with the enemy, since I went with Viktor Krum,"

"Do you need me to go beat him up for you? I'm told I can throw a nasty punch,"

She laughed a bit, "Honestly no, it's fine. I'll just ignore him for a couple of days,"

You chuckled at her statement. Suddenly, she pulled back and looked at you questionably.

"Where's your date?" She asked, confused.

Your face fell and you blushed out of embarrassment.

"Oh, um. I don't have a date," you said with a weak chuckle at the end.

She frowned, "No one?"

You shook your head, "Not one,"

"Did you ask anyone?"

"One. Turned me down, obviously,"

She looked at you with sympathy, "That's a shame. Someone would've been very lucky to go with you,"

You blushed and looked at the floor. You looked at her, still red in the face, and asked, "Do you want me to walk you back to your dorm?"

She smiled, a real one, and nodded.

"I'd like that,"

You smiled a cheesy smile and extended your arm to her, "Shall we, m'lady?"

"We shall," she giggled and grabbed onto your arm. You smiled at her before heading towards the Gryffindor Common Room.

On the way there, you talked to her about anything.

Mostly stuff to make her laugh and get off the subject of Ron.

"Here we are miss," you said as you approached the portrait lady.

You stopped in front of it and she let go of your arm.

"Thank you. You have no idea how much this means to me," she said gratefully.

"It was my honor," you said as you winked at her.

She looked at your eyes before quickly fleeting her gaze to your lips. She quickly leaned in and kissed you.

It was short and sweet, but it felt like the greatest thing to you. When she pulled back, you stared at her wide eyed, a smile starting to form on your lips.

Hermione whispered a goodbye and slipped into her Common Room, smiling.
You were so happy, you about fell off the stairs.

  °º¤øº°°°º¤øº¤øº°°°º¤øº°