21: Streaming The Truth

Rika and her mother remained in waiting room outside of Ryohei's hospital room. When the doctors had finished operating on her she was moved to a room where they kept blood flowing into her veins. She had lost a lot of blood during her time spent bleeding to death in that alleyway. It was good that Ena had found her when she did. If she had spent any more time in that alleyway she would have been dead by now. Right now the doctors had brought her heart up to a steady rate, but the rest was up to her. They couldn't do anything more for her. If she wanted to awaken then she would have to fight. If she wanted to let go then she could let go. Either way she had choices. The doctor came out of Ryohei's room and removed his mask. Rika and her mother stood up quickly.

"Well, how is she?" Rika's mother asked with hope in her eyes.

"She's stable right now. She's not awake yet," the doctor responded with a sigh.

"Oh, that's good to hear that she's ok," Rika's mother replied with a sigh of relief. The doctor nodded with a sigh as he looked down.

"What's wrong?" Rika asked in worry. The doctor looked up at the two of them.

"We've done all we can for her right now," the doctor said, "The rest is up to her. It's her choice to choose whether she lives or dies." Rika and her mother glanced at each other in worry.

"What does that mean? I thought you said that she's stable," Rika remarked in wonder.

"Yes, but stable does not necessarily mean that she will live. Her chance of surviving is slim," the doctor explained with a heavy sigh. Rika and her mother's eyes widened in worry.

"What are you saying?" Rika's mother asked in worry.

"Right now she has about a 25% chance of living," the doctor responded with a sigh as he looked at them apologetically.

"What?!" Both Rika and her mother asked in disbelief. Other people in the hospital stared at them in alarm.

"I'm sorry, but we've done everything we can do," the doctor replied trying to calm them down, "I told you. The rest is up to her. Now I don't know what she needs to be motivated to wake up, but whatever it is you'll need to find it, so that it can help her." Rika and her mother glanced at each other before sighing and giving small nods.

"Alright, thank you doctor," Rika's mother thanked the doctor with a grateful smile. The doctor nodded in response.

"Can we see her at least?" Rika asked with pleading eyes. The doctor nodded. Rika and her mother nodded back as they rushed into Ryohei's room. There lying in the hospital bed was Ryohei, who still looked pretty banged up. She had big, purple bruises everywhere on her face and her arms. Just then a couple of police officers came in.

"Good morning," the police officers greeted them. Rika's mother smiled in greeting to them while Rika ignored them and grabbed onto Ryohei's hand. She held Ryohei's hand tightly in hers and kissed the top of it.

"What is it officers?" Rika's mother asked curiously.

"We were going to ask her some questions, but it looks like she is not awake yet, so we shall come when she is awake," the officers explained as they left. Rika's mother sat on the other side of Ryohei's bed and held onto her other hand. She kissed the top.

"Oh, Ryohei, my poor baby girl," her mother commented in a whisper, "I'm so sorry that this happened to you honey. I don't know what's been going on in your life, but whatever it is I know that you didn't deserve any of this. You are as kind as an angel sweetie." Rika glanced from Ryohei to her mother. Rika sighed heavily as she gripped Ryohei's hand in hers. That morning Rika didn't show up to school. Ryoji had tried to contact her, but she didn't respond.