Chapter 24-I Choose.....

OMFG she chooses in this chapter!  Or does she?

Chapter 24-I Choose....

I sat there curled up for I don't know how long.  The doctors and nurses hustled and bustled around me, occasionally feeding me pills and bits of food.  Those were the only times I ever raised my head that was resting on my knees.

In my sort of insanity induced stupor, something inside me clicked.  Where was my father?

"Where's my father?" I asked, bringing my head up so fast that the nurses all gasped.

"Your father already came," one of the nurses said kindly, propping me up on my pillows.

"He - he did?" I asked, bewildered.

"Yes.  John, I believe?" the nurse said, checking my monitors.

"No, my father is Richard.  Richard Wilson," I said, becoming more panicked now.

"Let me go see if he visited maybe when you were in the drug stupor," the nurse said, wringing her hands and running off to consult with the clerk who checks people in.

I waited for maybe five minutes before the nurse came rushing back in.

"Well, sweety, no one by the name of Richard Wilson came to visit, but your legal guardian, John Bradley, came with his family."

G-guardian?  Legal?  HUH?!

"Can I have a phone, please?" I asked, and the nurse brought me my iPhone.

I quickly dialed his cell phone number and waited for him to pick up.

Ring...ring...ring...ring....

"Hello?" my father asked.

"Dad.  It's me," I choked out.  Now that the moment had come, my throat felt blocked.

"Elle?" he asked, and I could just imagine his face growing pale.  My anger returned. 

"Why the hell did you assign John as my legal guardian?" I asked venomously.

The nurses took that as their cue to leave.

"Because -- well, because -- Elle, I -- I mean, we -- I meant to tell you, but -- "

"Tell me what?!" I screamed into the phone.  "That you gave me up?  How long ago did you make him my legal guardian?  Huh?  Huh?!"

"Elle -- your mother and I -- we can't support you anymore -- we -- "

I pressed the "End Call" button and threw the phone onto the sheets.

How could he?  How could my father make the Bradleys my legal guardians without even telling me?  I'm an adult, shouldn't I have been notified? 

I pushed the conversation to the back of my mind.  He was dead to me now.  Or had he always been?

I needed to think on the matter of Alex and Clarke.  Should they prove to me why I should choose them?  Like -- I don't know -- like an interview?  Ooooh that could be fun!  I could like ask them questions like, "So why do you think you should be with me?  What are your assets?"  It could be like a dating thing!!!!!  That would be sooo cool and I could torture them at the same time.

"Excuse me, Nurse?" I called, and one came bustling over.

"Yes, Elle, dear?"

So motherly.

"Can you get Clarke to come in here, please?  I know he's waiting outside," I said sweetly.

"Of course, dear," the nurse said, and hurried outside to get him.