Chapter 5-Saying Goodbye

Note: Not polished chapter
-------

Somewhere near Arktis Edge
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

Alec stared up at the ceiling of his home, while the flickering fire of the candle and fireplace created shadows on his face. Like usual, sleep refused to engulf his mind, and he ended up tossing and turning on his bed, before he settled for staring up at the ceiling. His thoughts drifted off to the two men who had tied him to his own chair, more than a week ago. He wondered what the Drae's master had done for them to come looking for that person, whoever he was. He had no doubts that they wouldn't believe what he said, but he was still taken aback when they sent a man to try to spy on him from behind rocks and trees. As if he wouldn't notice.

He groaned in frustration, as he sat up and decided to stare up at the sky again. Without bothering to put on his coat, he stepped out into the porch after lacing up his boots. Once out, his eyes searched for the red Drae that he had become fond of in less than a week.

"Crimson!" he called. He moved to the other side of the porch and called out for the Drae once more. He remembered how the creature purred under his hand when he called him that, and he decided to give him that name. His brows knit when he saw no signs of the creature.

Where the Blazen, did he fly off to this time? he thought. Stepping out into the snow, he neglected the fact that only his woolen shirt and thick trousers adorned him. The cold lashing out at his exposed skin seemed unable to faze him as he threaded down the path, with the only light coming from the currently waxing moons. He stopped and tried to feel the presence of the man Gael had sent, but felt nothing. Knowing that nobody was watching him, he continued with his walk and called out to the Drae.

His nerves tingled when he felt something approaching. On his body's own accord, he jumped a few feet back. He was in time and saw three pairs of handleless knives buried on the spot he stood on earlier. He whirled around as his hunter ears heard the flutter of clothing behind him. Once he did so, his instincts took over and he bent back almost enough to break his spine. He watched as a knife swung over his face with its blade glinting in the light. He twisted his body and flipped back three times, moving away from his attacker. When he discerned he was a good distance away, he took the time to look over the person.

He saw nothing, except a person almost the size of a Gael, donned in a black cloak that covered his body from head to ankles. He crouched low and dashed toward Alec. Before he could reach him, a flash of red blocked him from his view. A loud roar rang through the air in the next moment, causing Alec to cover his ears and fall back. His eyes grew big as he saw Crimson lunged at his assailant with his claws and teeth bared at him.

"Down boy!" he heard the man yell. The Drae stilled at the sound of his flat voice, and shrunk back. It was only for a moment before Crimson jumped forward and trapped the man beneath him.

Alec stood and ran to them, but he veered to the right, when Crimson's front rose off the ground. The creature fell back towards his direction and snow scattered into the air. The Drae landed on its spine, and its outstretched wing knocked Alec back. It roared as it writhe on the cold ground, and Alec caught movement from the corner of his eyes. The person's black cloak fluttered behind him as he made his escape. After giving Crimson a brief glance, Alec ran after him. He had enough light to make out his running figure that entered Gelun Forest. His clothes blended with the shadows made by the large and leafless trees.

Alec sped up and hopped on top of a tree, using the tall rocks and other trees as leverage. He hopped from one large branch to another as he kept his eyes trained on his attacker.

"Found you," he said, as his eyes narrowed into slits at the running figure below him. He hopped onto two more branches before dropping down to the ground. His leg lashed out, and connected with the person's back. He rolled on the snow before he jumped and stood upright. He turned and ran to the cloaked man who lay flat on his stomach. He flipped him over, the action causing the hood to fall away from his face.