Chapter Twelve - Dress Shopping

Start from the beginning

Firstly, Mom pulled me into a little boutique, lifting dress after dress and throwing them into my arms to hold. I presumed she would have me try them on later.

She seemed to be on some kind of a roll, concentrating carefully so I didn't bother chatting, I didn't want to distract or interrupt her.

I could tell Mom loved this, she was clearly enjoying herself as she moved from rail to rail, searching though each of the dresses and inspecting them thoroughly before deciding it worthy of our time and either throwing it into my arms or back onto the rail.

Mom new my size perfectly, better than me in fact so I just let her get on with it.

At first, Mom had wanted to make me my own dress, but then decided we didn't have enough time so we went back to the original plan of shopping today.

Mom loves fashion and clothes, being a designer in the fashion industry and all. I could see she was passionate in her work and it showed when she was dressing me. I had always been the best dressed baby, in fact I was the best dressed until I was old enough to refuse her smothering of clothes.

I smiled at the thought of how disappointed Mom was when that day came, as annoying as she could be I loved her for it and it was just her personality to be disappointed when she learned that she could no longer dress me.

Shoving me into a changing room Mom closed the door shut behind me, barely giving me enough time to get in before in banged closed and she hastily left to sit and wait for me.

Trying on each of the dresses, I had no opinion on most of them as I walked out to show Mom.

Mom obviously did have an opinion on all of them as she shook her head and hastily sent me back in to try the next one.

By the time we had finished in just one shop, I was already like a zombie.

Just a million more to go...

Sighing, I trailed behind Mom again as she excitedly searched for the next shop.

''So how's babysitting been going?'' Mom started up conversation again as we looked around us for another shop to look in.

I was getting tired and my stomach kept growling, but I really needed a dress so I couldn't complain.

''It's really good actually, Sasha's adorable.'' I answered honestly with a smile, thinking of the amazing little girl I had been looking after.

''What's Claire's son like?'' she questioned, ''I've never seen him before but she told me she had one about your age when we were setting up your job.''

''Oh, yeah he's all right.'' I answered, trying my very best to sound nonchalant. I probably didn't pass it off.

Mom gave me a side glance with a smirk as I examined my nails and pretended not to care.

Please buy it Mom, PLEASE BUY IT!

''You like him.'' Mom announced like it was the most casual thing in the world.

''WHAT?!'' I exclaimed.

I began to choke on air from pure shock. What I was shocked about I'm not quite sure but I was shocked none the less.

Her eyes widened as she patted my back and held out her water bottle for me.

I took it gratefully, gulping down mouthfuls of water before gasping in as much oxygen as my lungs could manage.

''Are you okay?!'' Mom asked worriedly.

I nodded my head sheepishly, wiping my mouth with the back of my sleeve and handing her back her water bottle, now with only a small amount left in it.