Epilogue: It Somewhat Works Out

Dan

"Dennis Elijah Messner! You get off that dining table right now." I hollered as I walked in on my two year old clambering up the chairs onto the table wearing nothing but his Huggies Lil Movers diapers and an engine red cape.

"Daddy, Dennif - fuperman." He pursed his lips and pouted, still hanging halfway off the table. I eyed his chubby foot on the chair that was precariously close to sliding off.

Yes, my two year old son speaks in third person and I can't seem to find anything cuter than that. Other than my two year old baby girl, McKenzie.

"Dennis, when we got the cape you promised, no more jumping off tables and sofas." I walked up and scooped the boy into my arms before he face-palmed the throw rug, then untied the red cape and tucked him horizontally into my side.

"Daddy but Dennif fry?"

"You won't be flying anytime soon, son. You still gotta grow the superpowers." I explained and swung him forward and back as I marched into the kitchen. Enjoying his small stint at flying, he extended his arms forward and 'wroom'ed.

"We have to make breakfast, mommy is giving Kenzie a bath." I straightened him up into my arms and then opened the cabinet to grab the batter.

"Daddy, down. Dennif down." He scrambled out of my lap tipping his body sideways.

"What?" I hastily put the batter down and grabbed his flailing arms.

"Daddy, down." He repeated, scrunching his nose in annoyance just like his mother.

"Oh, no daddy no down." I shook my head and chuckled. 

"Daddy, please." The scrunch turned into glittery eyed stare, the devil. "Daddy, down!"

Dennis could easily have been a dog because every morning McKenna and I spent fifteen minutes just trying to locate the little monster to take him for a bath.

"Good thing daddy got you first then." I laughed and hoisted the kid up onto my shoulders, heading out of the kitchen again.

I walked into the nursery where out in the balcony McKenna was giving McKenzie a nice bath under the sun. "Hey, my handsome man." She looked up and I smirked wickedly.

"I was talking to my baby." She shook her head and extended her suds covered arms to take Dennis from me. He coiled his legs around my neck and his arms locked in my hair as he resisted being taken down.

"Don't be such a scaredy cat, Dennis." I patted his diaper covered butt and then tickled his naked side as he continued to grip my hair tightly.

"No bath," he sobbed and then there were full blown tears as he wailed loudly. "Jeez, this boy." I cursed under my breath and knelt down on the floor beside McKenna as she cooed loudly to Dennis. He didn't get off instead he simply bent forward over my head to reach his mommy.

"Denny, why are you crying, my baby?" McKenna cooed to the wailing boy and held her arms out higher to beckon him in.

"Dennis, it's okay. No bath." I said, his wailing shrieking cries making burr holes in my skull. How did my boy become such a crier? Oh yes, his mother.

McKenzie stood up in her baby tub and laughed. She pointed her closed fist at her brother and giggled loudly making Dennis bawl even louder.

I couldn't help but wink at my little girl as she splashed her hands in the water, bathing us halfway.

"Mommy weh! Daddy weh!" She cried happily as Dennis wailed over the water that splattered over him.

"Kenzie! Look Denny is crying!" McKenna chastised her and stood up. Then she hooked her arms under Dennis's armpits and lifted him off my head and into her lap, "Den, you don't have to cry! It's just water." She said and I hastily padded to Mckenzie who was giggling in her big bath tub.