24. Blurring Lines

McKenna

I twisted in the sheets as the sun beat down on my face from the windows. My hand extended to side as I searched for the warm body next to me and the feathery snores that echoed in the room every time Evan slept over.

I need time.

My eyes flew open as the words fell into my head. He wasn't here. He wasn't going to be here anytime soon.

I slowly rubbed the sleep from my eyes and sat up, pushing the comforter to my waist. My life had become one large storm that came churning with new surprises with every new day. My eyes fell on the purple box that sat on my vanity and my train of thoughts shifted.

Dan. Daniel. He was the core of the storm and every single day, hour, minute, second got me closer to the centre which encouraged me to leap off the metaphorical edge and dive into a new life.

Evan. Evan was the root under my feet. Every single day, hour, minute, second of my past was saturated with him and I was drifting steadily away from the roots that kept me grounded. Could he let me soar?

I stopped my wayward mind and climbed out of bed heading to the bathroom. I walked to the sink and braced my hands on the ceramic bowl as I stared deep into my weary eyes. My hair was tied up in a messy high bun and my raggedy shirt was hanging off my shoulder.

Are you brave enough to let me see your heart?

I closed my eyes as I remembered the day, the song and the swimsuit. It was a memory and like all the little ones I made with Dan I locked it away in my heart depriving them of the power to sway me from my big picture. I'd been seeing the same picture for most of my life but Dan, with one smirk and one warm word, blew it to smithereens.

I was already delaying it in real life so delaying the sorting in my own head seemed like the only viable plan. I scrubbed my face with cold water and stripped off the shirt that I always slept in. The cold icy water on my skin woke me up and I turned my head toward the spray as I thought of the same dilemma again and again. Could I change it?

I placed my locked fist against the wall and let my eyes drift close as I stood under the torrent of the shower.

He was late again. Like every other party in our school year Evan was late again. Homecoming was such a big deal to me, he knew it. I remembered the dinner I had at his home last week with Val and all I could talk about was the beautiful dress Val had bought for me.

Mother had been away to Nigeria to help drought victims and the children who were suffering from malnutrition. I remembered our last conversation before she left,

"You've always had the best of everything, young lady and still you've become so greedy. It reflects so poorly on our family, do you realise?"

"Mother, I just want you to come with me to buy a dress. One that you select for me."

"Don't have such shallow dreams, McKenna. You'll sink before you rise."

"But-"

"Uh-hum."

"Yes, Mother."

"Those children are in desperate help and I can provide for them what their parents couldn't. So, don't waste my efforts with your insensitive thoughts."

"I'm sorry." How often had I used it without despising the very letters of those words?

"Now, let the housekeeper to accompany you. Use the card."