38. You Have To Study Your History

McKenna

Dan didn't answer me but he fixed everything. He fixed all the flaws and mistakes between us and walked on eggshells around me to keep me happy. How could I not smile at him and kiss him when he did what he did?

"I'm hoping you are free tonight, for dinner?" He mumbled from the perch on his bed where he lay prostrate as I dressed quickly for work.

Hoping? Dan said hoping? The man was the master of his universe and he was hoping I was free to dine with him. I smirked as I tied the sash of my robe and strode across the room to his wardrobe to select my clothes.

"Yes, you can pick me up from work." I answered casually over my shoulders, "and drop me as well."

"Of course." Came his prompt reply with a relieved sigh as he flopped down on the downy mattress.

I grabbed the caramel beige shift dress and headed back to the room to get dressed. I pulled on my lacy thongs under the robe and turned away from the bed, gracefully dropping it to the floor. Oscar worthy performance.

Had the old, mouthy, naughty Dan been lying on the bed touching distance from me he would have snagged the opportunity and my waist to drag me back into bed but this over cautious, polite Dan simply groaned loudly and then buried that inappropriate moan into the pillows.

I clipped my matching bra into place and finally turned around with a huff, "are you going to be such a pussy whip everyday now? Because I'm getting bored."

"Pussy whip?" He lifted his face from the pillow and cocked an eyebrow at me, suppressing his amusement.

"Yes. The sweet talking, Oprah watching, pussy whipped boyfriend?"

"Boyfriend?"

Boyfriend? Had I really said that? What?

"I mean, lover-"

"Lover?" His amusement began to show.

"Uh, friend with benefits-"

"Now that's insulting, my benefits aren't limited to bedroom sports." His lips began to pucker into a kissable pout.

"I think benefits covers all." I retorted.

"That statement does not imply that." He argued and sat up in a fluid move. His naked upper body came into view as the sheets fell away. I sucked in a shocked breath and steeled myself against the onslaught of desires that flooded my veins. Since Dan and I had made up - not too long ago - we hadn't had sex. In fact, Dan hadn't attempted to seduce me and every chance he got he spent his time trying to cajole me and make me smile.

Yes, yes I was angry that he never gave me a reason, didn't profess his attraction to me. He didn't say anything instead he stood there with me in his arms and then when I was okay and he was certain of it, he left. And since then he tried to keep me happy and didn't seduce me at all. But I realised that if the tables were turned and he asked me for my reason to stay with him I wouldn't answer because even if I knew in my heart the reason was real I wasn't going to admit to it. Being a cheater was enough on my pride right now and to say that it is much bigger than cheating would be an even bigger betrayal to Evan.

"I know it's a good morning when you're standing in your lingerie arguing with me even before breakfast." He smugly retorted as I struggled to frame statements just at the mere sight of his muscled pectorals. When did he get the time to work out?

"So do you have any particular desires for breakfast today?" I asked stressing eagerly on desires. I was hoping he'd answer with his trademark 'you' but the blind moron that he was, "nothing special." And flopped down on the mattress, reclining back to watch me get dressed.