11. Seeing Beyond The Light

All you awesome people out there don't forget to leave your love and support for us here.

And enjoy the ride while it's on...
Pch... Happy Reading.

Pssst... New POV

****

Dylan

I couldn't bear to watch her any longer. The guilt in her face, the shame in her eyes and the fear - the god damned fear that she kept so well concealed was peering right fucking at me. And I couldn't do anything.

My last words hung in the room like rejected carbon dioxide because she'd refused to take them. Like all the days in the past the woman - deranged and uncontrollable - the woman couldn't see what was happening to her. She was blind despite the constant signs and the doomed future.

She was ready to toss herself in the fire but she wasn't ready to see what the fire would do to her. I watched as the glass door swung shut and she walked away from it. I gasped as I saw her look at her feet for a few seconds but she lifted her head and her perky chin was back in its place, where she liked to keep it.

She shuffled to her office with that armour of hers that could hide almost anything. The pain, the sorrow, the secrets, the wounds, the blood, anything. And I'm sure most of us were drawn just to the fire in her face that we forgot to look at the small scars that marred her flawless skin.

To me, she was beautiful because of the armour. That solid metal that covered her from head to toe made her beyond beautiful. She was a heroine, the women from our glorious past with battles under their belts. McKenna was just like those women because she had her unshakeable pride and her solid armour - which was gold to me - and her own battles safely tucked away from our eyes.

I rubbed the kink from the back of my neck and went to retrieve my phone which had continued its incessant buzzing like it had been doing all fùcking morning.

People were going insane over the media frenzy and the board was livid at the stunt that McKenna pulled but I couldn't let them go ahead with their punishment. I spoke to five members from the Board Of Directors this morning and none too happy with the constant cameras on our doors.

They were afraid what kind of a response this was going to create among the general population and our elite clientele wasn't too happy to be a part of a firm that were so sharply under the spotlight. Especially when we were covering some major offences of our own people.

I sighed at the fourteen missed calls on my phone and called the first one on top, ready to hear the same story all over again.

Put the goddamned lawyer on probation.

That's what the board wanted and I was just a puppet to them, running the business which they funded. I sat down on the couch and began the same explanation I'd been chanting all morning. It was printed in the recesses of my mind after repeating it to a dozen people.

"Hello. Yes Mr. Rosen. Yes, I'm glad you called over the issue. I'd like it gone as soon as possible myself." I tried to pacify the old man.

"Fraser this is seriously unacceptable. You should just fire the woman if she's come back to work. If this happens once then it's gonna happen all over again. You can't take a chance. Especially if you're handling cases of contempt and business contracts. If the media gets one tiny link to the issue its gonna blow up in our fùcking faces. I need the Kingsley's off my darned back and I can't do it if the media is involved. I want the woman off the roster." The old man growled, heaving for a breath.

I stayed quiet for a moment waiting for his breathing to settle.

"Look Mr. Rosen, I have to agree that this isn't the best kind of publicity I wanted for my firm but now things have happened and no one change the past. I cannot fire my lawyer because she's the god damned best one I have. And if you knew our employees on a personal level instead of just signing the pay checks you'd know what her accomplishments include. So I want you to consider my word - I work with these people all year round for Gods' sakes - and let me handle the issue. I promise you that the media will not be involved whatsoever and the Kingsley-Rosen dispute will remain under wraps. Just give me some time so I can get the things organised, my morning hasn't been that great either."