23. Band Aids Don't Fix Ego Bruises

McKenna

Evan's words refused to leave me. I couldn't stop thinking about the way he behaved. Did he want to move forward without me or just simply needed some time off from the wedding because both he and I knew that the marriage was a signed deal and we weren't the deciding party, even today.

I dropped my head into my hands with a sigh and waited for the ground to swallow me up and drop me on the other side of this parallel dimension where I was still dealing with just one rogue man and not two.

I'd left the hospital this morning to come directly to work. Nat had to pick up an extra pair of clothes from my house with all my files.

Maybe you hoped you loved him more than the deal forced you to.

Now my head fell forward and I pressed my forehead to the cold glass top. Ellie had a way of stating things that you much rather lived without. Now, I had to deal with my own slew of emotions and worry over Evan's change of heart.

Did I want to marry the guy? No. It was too early. I did love him and we were bound by a four page contract signed 12 years ago, two years after Evan kissed me forcefully to apologise for making me eat a roly-poly. Until then we were kids who came running out of each other's houses to play together but after our parents got involved it became an entirely new ball game.

I turned my head to place my cheek on the glass and began to blow hot breath on the desk to write my name in the condensation. I drew Kenny and then stopped because Evan's name didn't start with a D. I was losing my mind so I quickly ran my hand over it and lifted my head to focus on my work.

Nat appeared on my door just as I finished settling the side of my head. "Mrs. Rosen is here to see you."

"Okay let her in." I mumbled and steeled my self to deal with my supermodel/recent widow client.

"McKenna," she breathed as soon as she saw me and I stood up to accept her hug. She was dressed in a mint green dress that skilfully showed off her narrow waist and stopped at her mid thigh. She cooly handed me her long red trench coat and sat down on the couch, crossing her legs at her knees which made the short dress ride up.

"Will Mr. Kingsley be joining us?" She inquired as I placed the coat on my coat hanger by the door.

"I'm not sure. Maybe just Daniel." I said, as I took a seat on the couch with her.

"Oh, I'm glad. He's one good looking hunk, isn't he?" She gushed and I mentally shook my head over the widowed woman who lost her husband not to long ago.

"Why did you want to see me, Mrs. Rosen?"

"Oh, please call me Claire, darling." She patted my knee and leaned back into the couch. I gave her tight smile and prompted again, "well?"

"Oh, yes. I've been thinking about the company. After since Michael left everything in my name I've had a lot of companies offer me a good contract for business. And I've agreed with one such multinational. It's a successful enterprise and I happen to know the man very well," she smiled wickedly and I wondered what did very well entail in her relationship with him.

"I'm glad. So you're selling the company?"

"No, I'm just giving over part of the ownership. I wouldn't waste all of my - ahem, my belated husband's efforts, God rest his soul."

Ah, mighty fine. God better rest his soul.

"I'm sure you're heading in alright. What is the company you are contemplating joining with?"

Just then the door opened and Dan walked in.

"Miss me?" He hollered and strode in with no preamble whatsoever. Well, my day just got so much better.