18. Under The Table

McKenna

I stopped at the door, his smile flushing my skin to a soft tangy red. I don't think anyone was looking ahead when they walked because I felt the impact on my back as Dylan walked right into me.

He huffed when my body collided with his and hissed again as another person walked into him. Yes, yes, we were the cool and collected lawyers of this firm.

I doubt people looked at us with worth anymore, especially me. When Dylan crashed into me I lost my footing and stumbled forward. There was no traction in my extravagantly expensive shoes and I lurched forward to grab something before my make up was on the carpet.

I found it. My hands fell into the seat before me and I could practically feel Dan's smile which was hidden somewhere in the waves of my hair.

"Already, Princess?" He whispered and my face went through three degree burn stages.

"You are Dan? Dan Kingsley? That's your real name?" I whispered back forgetting all about my embarrassing butt in the air pose.

"Confirmation before you unzip my pants?" He retorted in that sexy ass accent I had missed.

"I'm not sleeping with you." I simply replied.

"That's what she said. With her perky ass in the air." He smirked and I almost turned around to slap his face.

Ass in the air?

Wait! Ass in the air!

I tossed my head back and straightened up feeling all the eyes in the room on me. Excellent! I'm a top notch lawyer and Dylan just saw my underwear.

I looked down at Dan who was sitting there with an impassive expression and his gaze locked on the glass window across from him. I was this close - an inch between my thumb and forefinger - to clawing his face off. Damn me if I didn't miss that face though.

"Ahem." I cleared my throat and turned around to see the people behind me who hadn't moved from their places - all gawking at me like I'd eaten a gecko.

"Let's take a seat." I said cooly and turned away to walk to my chair beside my client. Dylan shook his head and took a seat to my left and Gina, Dylan's secretary stood behind me after shutting the door.

"I'm McKenna Rodrigues and I'm Mrs. Rosen's lawyer. Nice to meet you!" I said to the man sitting beside Dan. He smiled after composing his shocked expression and extended his hand, "Nicholas. Nicholas Kingsley."

"Daniel." Dan said casually, giving me a surreptitious smile. Curse him! Curse him to the deepest pits of hell. I felt butterflies in my stomach as I saw him sitting there across, his hands on the same table as mine, his feet in the same space as mine. Him and I in the same room.

"Let's get on then." Dylan pulled me out of my reverie and I caught Dan's eyes again as he smirked as if he was saying, is there a bathroom close by? We could head there.

I shook my head and opened the file in front of me. Mrs. Rosen who was sitting beside me was the only one who didn't look uncomfortable at our exchange and I was glad. The woman was beautiful and much too young to be an old man's wife - so she could hardly turn her disparaging gaze on me - but I was her lawyer and all that was moot now.

"We are here to discuss the future owner of the Rosen Industries. Mr. Rosen passed away on the night of 15th of July, Wednesday due to acute heart congestion which led to a violent heart attack. According to the will signed by my client's husband all the property that belonged to Mr. Rosen now belongs to her." I said to the offence attorney who was siting beside Kingsley Sr. with a stoic expression.