27. Team Torture

McKenna

I think the next day came too soon and the one after that as well. Dan hadn't called me and the fear that Evan had instilled into me with just four simple words discouraged me from calling him myself.

I sat twiddling my thumbs at my desk at work staring at my phone as if it would eat me alive. This was so complicated. Wrong and wrong. And so definitely wrong.

I was engaged - maybe not right now, based on the way Evan walked out - but I was engaged and in a relationship for the longest time in my life and jumping out of one and landing straight in another was hardly the right way to go about it.

"McKenna, did you finish reading those documents. You have a meeting with the client at 11:00 today." Nat popped her head into the room interrupting my reverie and I thought of her head in a whack-a-pest game. If I wasn't annoyed enough, "Nat, I already know that. Do you take me to be a slacker and forget my job? Do you need a vacation maybe that would help you recall things better, a permanent one?"

Her eyes widened as I growled menacingly at her. I hadn't been the bitch queen in forever and this was me resurfacing my inner diva. The only to channel your anger is through another person. I smirked as I stared her down.

"Uh, I'm ... I'm .... sorry... Ms. Rod- McKenna." She stuttered, "I just... thought I should remind you."

"Well you're done. Go to work." I snarled and she pulled her head out running half way to her desk.

Stress seriously messed with my juju and made the people around me miserable but I couldn't help it so I returned to the file on my table.

It was regular sexual assault case where I had to aid another lawyer who was managing the case. I spent all morning interviewing her about all the details and discussing her rights so she could feel a little relief after all the horror. I saw the culprit and I grabbed his neck too, trying to wring it because of a smirk he cracked but then I was escorted out of the room to a different one with the victim to clearly underline the gravity of the situation.

The main lawyer was a talented one so I  wasn't too worried despite the threat that the defence lawyer seemed. Personal drive is different for all but for me it was about liberating all women from the foot they were under and destroying all the pedestals that the society had created, finally making a common ground.

"Did you do justice, oh great one?" Noelle mocked on the other line as I stomped out of the police building after finding the victim a taxi home.

"Yes, as a matter of fact, I did." I smiled, feeling happy, "you know what my work description is right, Ellie?"

"How could I not? You never let me forget it." She replied, sarcastic as ever.

"'Any particular reason you called me on such a bright sunny day? Did you get bored of the news anchor again?"

"Derek, his name is Derek and believe me he's so perfect I could never be bored in this life."

"Be careful what you say, that sounds dangerously close to affection." I laughed.

"Don't curse me, I'm still young and beautiful and I need my adventures to make up mindblowing stories for my grandchildren."

"Ellie, let's start small. Children seems like a better plan."

"You fail at your attempt to be funny again sister." I could practically hear her rolling her eyes at me and I growled at her, "I'm two seconds from hanging up on you."

"Get here for lunch. I'm bored. Two seconds up. See you. Bye." She said and hung up without even waiting for a response. Noelle was a speeding train and I was definitely on the wrong ride but I guess I never wanted to get off either.