40. Blues Are Visible

Since the next chapter holds a lot of secrets I decided to do an early update (also because Ivy called me a heartless tyrant). So here it is!

Another thing all those reading regularly please talk about RI to other people and post it on your Message Board so others can see. I really need the support.
Thank you,
Shiloh

McKenna

Dan wasn't supposed to be here. Dan was supposed to go home.

I couldn't shift a muscle let alone take the few steps from Evan's car to stand beside them. Evan had cleanly let go of Dan's hand and folded his arms over his chest with his professional predator mask slipping into place. Dan dropped his arm and tucked both his hands into his trouser pockets and glared back at Evan with open hostility. I stayed in my position wringing my hands as I looked at them, terrified.

I wanted to say something, do something to diffuse the raw tension in the air but fear, dread, terror, and a thousand other familiar emotions coursed through me that I could only watch as Evan looked at Dan and Dan looked at Evan.

"I'm surprised to see you here," Evan spoke, filling the heated air with words, "this late."

My eyes widened in terror as I thought of Dan's answer. He wouldn't lie, he never lied. He hated Evan and he would speak the truth.

Dan's eyes briefly darted to me and returned to Evan who was still standing with his hands locked in a fold.

"I came to see McKenna." Dan said, his voice so cool and distant that I couldn't recognise it. Slowly, my body untied and relaxed and I dropped my gaze back to the floor taking deep calming breaths. Inaudibly.

"As I said, it's quite late for a meeting." Evan repeated.

"Well, I've been working with her a long time and we don't exactly have a particular meeting hour." Dan said, spitefully. I sucked in a sharp breath and somehow managed to regain function of my legs, stumbling the distance to stand beside Evan.

Evan didn't even bother looking at me as I reached his side but Dan looked at me for just a moment, his eyes blazing with rage and accusation.

"I'm shocked to see that you're fraternising with the defence party, Mr. Kingsley," Evan said, displeased.

"Just as I'm surprised to see you here, in all the time that I've known McKenna I haven't seen you, or heard of you." Dan retorted, his lips snaking into a cruel grin.

I waited for Evan to say something but his seething, angry eyes turned to me, finally looking at me. He unfolded his arms and wrapped one around my waist, right above the stinging bruise on my side. I sucked in a sharp breath as he tugged me to his side.

"McKenna is my fiancée. I don't believe in interrupting her work day with our love life so it's understandable why you wouldn't see me around but -" Evan twisted his attention to me, "haven't you spoken of me, darling?"

I looked away from Dan's eyes and into Evan's cruel, annoyed ones trying to frame a legible answer in my head. It was even more difficult to bring those words to my lips, "I did, I must have. I'm sorry Evan, Mr. Kingsley is a busy man so it's difficult for him to make it - uh, make it to meetings sometimes so, he - he prefers to come see me in the evenings."

Betrayal coursed through my veins as I stuttered my reply, avoiding Dan's gaze. I called him Mr. Kingsley, there was nothing more I could say to show him that I was picking Evan's side. I could taste his hurt in the air between us as he continued to look at the two of us.