37. More Silences, More Secrets

Sometimes someone says some things that make you cry. This one is dedicated to @vaishwadegaonkar for writing such a beautiful comment. Those words made me feel that you could feel the love and effort I put into her and you truly connected with her.

I teared up when I read that amazing comment. Thank you so much.
-Shiloh

McKenna

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

I glanced at the small clock on my desk and sighed. I don't remember how much time had gone by but the sound of that ticking clock kept reminding me that it did.

Time. Too much and too little at once.

Truthfully, I couldn't do much work lately but that did not stop Claire Rosen from becoming an ever pressing thorn in my backside. She was all over the schedule now, rearranging meetings and pushing me to finish legal paperwork and finalising main dates with Dylan for a negotiation with Kingsleys or simply put - blasting them with bazookas in the court room all for some business deal that she'd promised a powerful man and she desperately wanted to keep him happy.

Blasted men and their blasted demands.

I could think of one such blasted man and I snapped the pencil in my hand in half. The edges of the broken pencil dug into my skin and I dropped it suddenly feeling the sting of the wood.

Two weeks. Two weeks and nothing had changed. Dan didn't move forward and neither did I and Evan didn't move back, he was persistent as ever and now the stakes were higher because he told me that I would accompany him to the masquerade that my family would host this year. Dan called me and called me but I couldn't make myself to go back to him. I think he was just like me, nursing his own hangover and trying to decide whether this was something to bat on.

I'd made my decision when I left that night and he'd made his when he stopped calling me. I barely remembered the slurry of 'where the hell did you go?' 'Did something happen?' texts that I didn't respond to but one such text was glued to my mind, 'why did you flinch?'

I didn't have an answer to that one either.

I sighed heavily and dropped my locked fists to the desktop. Nothing seemed to be going right lately, it seemed as if the trip to Narnia was over and now I was back in the bare empty room thrown outside the realm that had all my fantasies. Now reality was crawling back in and I couldn't do much to stop it.

"The papers are ready, McKenna." Nat said from a peep in my door and then pushed it open to walk up to my table when I lifted my head again. My hair was falling all around my shoulders today and I pushed them back roughly as I took the manila folder from her and browsed through them.

I'd sent them after the final call with Mrs. Rosen discussing the status of her company. She was doing a fantastic job and whoever was investing in the new venture must have been very interested to make such a solid plan of business. She had already admitted that she had no business sense whatsoever but she wanted to keep what her husband had left for her - because that would mean more profit then selling it all at once and then running out of money, and I remember rolling my eyes to the back of my head over that one - and just hand over the reigns to a more abled manager.

I didn't want to know anymore of her business issues than what was required of me because that would mean being friendly with her and the thought seemed upsetting when she breezed into my office as if she'd climbed out of a bed and smelled of wild animalistic sex. I didn't like that. I'd much rather not know those details of her life.