55. Chasing Cars

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

I don't know where
Confused about how as well
Just know that these things will never change for us at all

If I lay here
If I just lay here
Would you lie with me and just forget the world?
-Snow Patrol, Chasing Cars

McKenna

"McKenna, quit wallowing in self pity." Her annoyed whiny voice ordered from across the door. I didn't bother with an answer, just like the last time and the time before that and a dozen other times prior to that. I didn't reply. I lay prostrate on the plush comfortable rug of my bedroom where I passed out two days ago.

Two days. I'd spent two days lying in this same spot with my head tucked against the frayed edges of the rug and my arms latched around my body, keeping my sanity close. Or that's what it felt like. The tears had dried up hours ago and I continued to lie on the floor of my childhood bedroom for forty eight hours twenty minutes and six seconds. I knew that because of the large antique clock in my bedroom that dinged softly every hour and the tick of the hand as it shifted forward. It was the only sound around me.

The tick of the ticking clock, ringing loud like the beep of a ticking time bomb.

"McKenna!" She screeched and smacked her palm against the wood. It didn't startle me at all and I lay motionless as she continued to scream her anger, "enough is enough. Get up and come down."

I sighed infinitesimally and lay on the rug curled into a ball as she huffed a loud breath of frustration. "You have to come out someday." She said with a finality and I heard the retreating click of her heels on the floor.

Tomorrow, maybe. I whispered in my head and went back to the pit of nothing in my head. Then slowly I drifted back to sleep like I did countless times in the last forty eight hours.

"Do you remember our first date?" Dan's husky voice whispered in my ear as I leaned into the chopping board and finished the potatoes.

"First date?" I glanced up at him, eyes narrowed accusatively. "We haven't gone on any dates to ever have a first date, Dan."

"I meant the first time we ate together." He amended and stepped away from me as if he already knew I was gonna nudge him in the stomach. Hard.

"That's not a date," I scoffed and finished chopping the ingredients for the salad.

"Are you gonna continue on that track?" He sighed and leaned back against the counter opposite to the one I was standing against.

"I didn't start it," I shrugged innocently and grabbed the bowl.

"All I wanted to say was - let's play the game." He smiled devilishly and winked at me.

"The game?" I said. Oh! The dirty game. That game. I couldn't help but giggle at the picture in my head of sitting with a half naked Dan and eating lunch. Although this time we might just be able to take it all the way.

"Yep?" He looked downright hopeful and I squeezed the urge to smile. "Nope!" I popped the O and returned to the potato salad.