33. Anchors And Promises

McKenna

Work dragged late only because Dan got held up by Nicholas at his office. Something had happened when he was with me in the afternoon and then all evening I hadn't heard from him which was rare. I was contemplating taking a cab back home until I received a short text from him.

Don't go home. I'll be there to pick you up in a few. I'm sorry if it's too late.
- D.

I smiled at the short text and messaged him a curt 'alright' as I arranged all my belongings. Today had pushed me far into philosophical land and I'd only been wondering of the stars above us.

We couldn't see them from down here but so high up in the air, so close to the clouds I realised how real everything out there was. I wish we could go there again.

He's gonna buy it for you, how much more do you want? My evil subconscious wailed and I shivered in guilt.

I don't want him to tie hopes too soon. It'll break his heart. The docile angel on my right shoulder squeaked and I imagined the red eyed devil on my left giving her a death glare.

The war raged inside me as I grabbed my messenger bag and iPhone from the table to head for the elevator.

I knew he'd be there soon so I sat outside under the awning waiting for him. I didn't call him instead I spent that time waiting for him thinking about our last weekend together.

Every day with Dan was an adventure and I couldn't imagine living like this with a happy moment or a sudden laugh or a memory being written in my little book.

His arm was looped around my stomach as we lay on the roof of his residency building. It was wide and spacious and the sun was beating down on us as we took in our vitamin D shower. My eyes were closed but Dan was propped up on his elbow as he watched a grey bird dive and soar in the sky.

"I think I like black." He said suddenly and I snapped my eyes open, cocking one eyebrow curiously at him.

"What?" I asked and he looked away from the bird to me.

"You told me you don't know me, remember and then you asked me my favourite colour." He reminded me of an old ugly argument on a lunch date.

"Oh yeah." I closed my eyes again, "you think you like black?"

"Yeah, I've never thought about having a favourite colour."

"Never?" I opened my eyes to peer at him, "did you not want something in a particular colour as a child?"

"Not that I remember. My room was stark white and my clothes were all pre selected by the personal shoppers."

"Toys?"

"I don't think I had too many toys. I was already six when Nicholas bought me here."

"So when you were younger did you not want something?" I asked, my heart growing heavy.

"I remember the first time I slept alone in that big house I was so scared I kept thinking of my mother but Nicholas had told me clearly what that woman wanted and I wasn't it so I didn't want to seem.... weak." He stopped abruptly and I thought even the six year old Dan had his pride.