12. Baekhyun (sad)

Baekhyun awakes from his nap, roused by the sounds of sirens. In the van around him the members are talking excitedly. A fire engine speeds past them, its sirens blaring. He presses his hand to the window and watches it as it roars past.

Above the chaos Baekhyun hears Chen say, “Isn’t that Baekhyun-ah’s girlfriend’s house?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen as he spots a thick column of smoke comning from your neighborhood. Terrified and frantic with worry, he throws the door of the van open and leaps out. He hears the members shouting after him, but he is only focused on you.

He sees the fire truck outside your house. Oh, no… “Jagiya!” He screams, jumping over the police lines. He shoves past the firemen and runs right into the blazing house.

His heart is pounding, and he can barely see. “Jagiya!” He shouts, coughing as smoke fills his lungs. “Jagiya!” His eyes water. He can feel the intense heat all over his body, surrounding him.

He finally spots your body, pinned beneath a fallen ceiling beam. You are badly hurt and unconscious. Half the beam is on fire, and the flames are nearing you. Baekhyun runs forward and tries to wake you. Realizing that you won’t wake, he coughs and braces himself.

With all his strength, he lifts the beam inch by agonizing inch. He screams as his arm catches on fire. He is burning, but he is fixed on you. He throws the beam aside and lifts you into his arms, cradling your body against his chest. His arm is still ablaze, and the smoke is so thick that it chokes him.

Keeping his head down, Baekhyun staggers through the fire. He sees the door and runs through it. Weak and starving for air. Baekhyun stumbles and falls. You land beside him. EMT’s and firemen are shouting and running towards the two of you. The fire on Baekhyun’s arm is smothered, extinguished.

You are the last thing he sees as his vision fades to black.

—a few hours later—

“Baekhyun-ah. Baekhyun, wake up!”

Baekhyun slowly opens his eyes and blinks. His friends’ blurry faces become clear. They are all worried and tired. Chanyeol looks like he’s been crying.

Baekhyun looks around. “Where…” His normally beautiful, melodious voice is raspy and ugly like a crow’s. He coughs and asks, “Where is…jagiya…?”

“She is in another room,” Suho manages to say without his voice cracking. “Baekhyun. Baekhyun, we thought we were going to lose you!”

Baekhyun sits up. “Is _____-ah okay?” He demands.

Kris answers, “She’s fine, Baekhyun. You saved her.”

Baekhyun exhales, feeling a ten-ton weight lift from his shoulders. “Good,” he whispers softly. “I don’t know what I would do if I lost her…”

“Baekhyun-ah?” A feminine voice says from the doorway.

He looks up, his eyes wide. You are standing in the doorway, dressed in a hospital gown. Your face is still blackened with smoke and char.

Ignoring the stabs of pain, Baekhyun pushed past the other members and quickly made his way to you. He wraps his remaining arm around you, pulling you close and letting tears slip down his face.

“I love you, jagiya,” he whispers to you as you sob into his chest. “I would rather lose every limb than have to live without you.”