168. Suho (Guardian)

"Be careful going home, ______!"

"I will!" You shout back, pulling your jacket on. You had been workign for several hours, and now it is dark outside. You close the back door and make your way down the street. There are few cars in this neighborhood, and most of the houses are dark.

"You're out late, little lady," a gruff voice says from behind you.

You turn and see a man in a black overcoat. "Oh...annyeonghaseyo," you say politely, bowing slightly before turning.

The man grabs your arm, and you stifle a gasp. He's really strong despite his scruffy appearance.His fingers dig into your arm. "You shouldn't be out walking alone," he whispers as if it were a secret he didn't want to tell. "There are bad people out here." After he says this, he makes an odd, crazy laugh.

"Ajusshi, let go, please," you say, trying to tug away.

"Hush, or the bad people will get you!" He scolds, giggling. He pulls out a knife. Your eyes widen, and you fiercely try to pull away. "Only way to escape the bad people..."

"Ajusshi!" You cry, desperately yanking against him.

"You have to die, or they'll get you!" He cackles.

"Help!" You scream, clenching your eyes shut and recoiling in fear as he raises the knife.

Suddenly, you hear a loud snarl, and the iron grip is gone. The crazy man screams, and you open your eyes. You stumble backwards; a cry of terror catches in your throat.

A large, ashy wolf raises its muzzle from the madman's neck. Its eyes glow blue as it turns to you. You slowly step back, and it growls. It turns to you and steps forward before stumbling on its left paw. Blood trickles from the huge wolf's shoulder where the knife that had almost entered your heart had stabbed him instead. The wolf's eyes meet yours before it falls with a yelp.

You move forward and then hesitate. That thing is a killer! Besides, a wounded animal is more likely to attack...Still, it did save me... You scoot closer and slowly reach out. The wolf's salt-and-pepper fur is thick but surprisingly soft. You pet it soothingly, and the wolf sighs. You are too nervous to stop shaking. 

"Are you a boy wolf or a girl wolf?" You mumble more to yourself than to the wolf. "I didn't know wolves could get this big...Please don't eat me. Or bite me."

The wolf huffs and fidgets.

You reach for the knife. "Don't kill me," you say quickly. The wolf yelps as you pull out the knife. Fresh blood spurts out, and you feel your face drain of color. "Oh, gross..." You peel off your jacket and press it against the wound to stop the blood flow. "I am never, ever, ever wearing this jacket again."

The wolf snorts and fidgets again. You glance at the body of the man. "He's...he's really dead..." You whisper, scared. "You killed him."

A pale, slender hand reaches up to grasp yours. "I did it for you."

You yelp and jump back, tearing away. An extremely gorgeous man with deep, brown eyes and milky skin sits up, watching your every move. Your hand is still tingling from his touch. You look around, then back to him. "Who....what...where's the..." You stammer. Then you see it.

Your jacket, pressed against the man's shoulderblade.

"Oooooh, no," you say, backing away. "No. No, no, no, no, no."

The man sounds worried. "I didn't mean to scare you! Please, don't back away."

"No, no, no," you say, continuing to move away from him. You press your hands into your face, hiding. Maybe if I can't see him then he can't see me. "No. No."

"Please open your eyes."

You slowly open your eyes, meeting his warm, brown ones. He leans forward, and you reflexively move back. He swallows and tilts his head. "Are you...okay?"

"Please," you whisper. "Just...just give me some space."

He scoots back about an inch. "I didn't mean to scare you," he repeats. "It hurt so much...I couldn't stay in that form. I would have if it hadn't scared you."

You swallow. "I have to call the police..." You pull out your phone.

He reaches out, grabbing your hand. "Wait! The police? What are you going to tell them?"

You look from the dead serial killer to the naked, wounded man in front of you. "I...I'll think of something."

The officer crosses his arms. "So you were on your way home..."

You sigh. You had explained the excuse several times. Now you were tired and wanted nothing more than to go home and sleep. "I was on my way home when I heard several noises. I went to investigate and saw him." You point to the beautiful, brown-eyed man now wrapped in a blanket.

"And he was..?"

You huff for the umpteenth time. "Would you like me to put it bluntly? He was about to be anally raped by a man with a knife." You point to the body bag being loaded into an ambulance.

"Now explain that man's injuries. The dead man."

"The one he wanted to attack was struggling, so the assailant stabbed his shoulder blade. That's when I ran. The rapist got scared and used his knife to maul himself because he didn't want to get caught."

"One last question," the officer says. He points to the boy. "He still hasn't said his name. He's a little too...traumatized. Do you know him?"

You glance at the boy to find that he is staring quite intensely at you. His eyes faintly glow blue before fading. You feel a strong sense of protectiveness from him, and he tenses.

"Ma'am?" The officer says.

"Suho," you say. "His name is Suho."