Renegade: Chapter Thirteen

To satisfy my curiosity, I looked at Christopher in the middle of that walk and asked, "Umm... Christopher, what made you decide to join the Democrats?"

"The queen made my life miserable," Christopher answered. "She had sentenced my parents to death for accidentally burning Rosario banners hung at the back of her throne."

"That is a shallow reason to sentence people to death," I shook my head.

"I know. As a matter of fact, she was still not satisfied of my parent's fate that she had turned me into her personal slave," Christopher explained. "In the hope of making my life less unfortunate, I tried to escape that castle one night through that forest we had been before. In the end, I had found myself in the middle of the city with no food to eat and no water to drink. For every hour that had passed, I got weaker. Until there came a time that I had just fell and passed out."

"Oh that is horrible," Kate spoke sadly.

"Indeed, Kate," Christopher nodded. "Luckily, as I woke up, I realized that I was in the middle of a light blue room with my whole body laid on top of a white comfy bed. As I looked on my right hand, I realized that there was a dextrose attached to it and at the moment I had touched my face, I found out that there was an oxygen mask that had helped me breathe. Unexpectedly, a lady went inside the room and in a kindly manner she asked my condition and the clan that I had belonged... That lady was no other than Commander Hilda."

"Whoa! What a revelation," Alexander widened his eyes.

"She said that some of the Democrats saw me lie unconsciously in front of the gate. So, without any hesitation, they carried me inside the Mansion to treat my ill condition," Christopher continued. "For days she monitored my recovery and provided my every need. Every time she visited me, she would always explain all about the Mansion and the Democrats... I had admired her attitude which was way opposite than the queen herself. With kind words, Commander Hilda motivated me for who I am now. In the end, I had chosen my allegiance to the league and not to the clan that I had belonged."

"So how did you get back to the castle without them knowing that you are already a Democrat?" Kate asked.

"It was easy," Christopher smirked. "I lied to the queen. I made her believe that the guards had forced me to do labor outside the castle for days. With no other time to realize whether what I had said was a truth or a lie, she had forgotten to ask the guards their side of the story."

"Oh! You really have convincing acting skills," I chuckled.

"I know," Christopher smiled. "Never did she knew that from that day on, I had made a huge deal with Commander Hilda which was for me to be the eye of the Democrats inside the territory. So, for months I had studied all the passages of the castle when there was a spare time and would sometimes observe all her characteristics and battle strategies, in the hope that I could use it against her in the future."

"Oh! That is such a wise act," I nodded with a smile.

"At the moment I saved you guys from that dungeon, I had decided to quit the job and finally take a rest from her harsh orders. From that day on, I never came back from the castle and was never heard again," He explained.

"You have made the right choice, my friend," I patted his back when all of a sudden, three framed portraits which were attached on the upper right side of the hallway had caught my attention. I hurriedly walked towards them and examined the people presented in those acrylic made paintings.

The first painting presented a lady which was about in her mid-twenties. Her fair complexion resembled to like that of an angel which was untouched with any impurities. Her long curly hair was gold in color and this was elegantly partnered with her brown colored eyes. Her lips was peach in color and her nose had a small mole on its upper right. With glamour, she wore yellow colored gown and held a black colored cloth on her right hand.