C H A P T E R 16

Amelie

The next day, the team had been escorted by a few campers blindfolded. It was practice day and we had to rest right after so we could have energy before we were off again to face our biggest fear.

All throughout the day Anne had been avoiding Xavier. We had talked the day before about him exactly. Anne had asked me about my feelings for Xavier, saying she had been noticing the little looks and everything that was going between us, but I told her there was nothing to worry about.

She told me that Xavier had been talking to her about me a lot when he had found me in the island which was before she had asked him to go out with her and he had said yes.

She told me that he had been great on the first week until he had changed slightly after he told her I had sprouted wings.

Xavier had been with her though, but talking too much about me to the point where Anne knew everything there was to know about me and gotten enough of Xavier.

***

"Now, I think we're with each other for friendly purposes. My liking to him had vanished when I saw he had eyes for another girl and then I found out I didn't like him as much as I thought." That was the thing that surprised me the most.

I told her my relationship with Xavier was weird at the moment, that she should be with him because to me, they were perfectly happy together. I couldn't believe she was going to do what she did next.

"I like him like a brother now. And I think I might be falling for Jake the stupid." she winked, with a smile.

"What?!" I shrieked, but she was quick to shush me.

"It was before I went out with Xavier. Sebastian and I had found Jake after finding our symbols, but Sebastian had to leave before me to get to Atlantis where Xavier had sent him a message about you. Jake and I worked together to fight through a lot of monsters and one night he just kissed me out of nowhere." I gripped her arm tightly, trying not to scream.

"Yeah. And the bad part was that I felt something as he did so and I was scared, so I pulled away. I was scared because I had my first kiss with a doofus and I thought I liked Xavier. But Amelie, after that kiss, I melted. I acted all tough, but inside, I swooned every time he looked at me. I asked Xavier out because I was too scared to try anything new. I haven't even spoken to Jake about that kiss." she said with a frown.

"This is too much. I'm not saying this because I am biased or anything, because I'm not. But you should really speak to Jake about that kiss." I said.

"I will. I just need to break up with Xavier first." she said.

"What?" I asked disbelieving.

"I'll let you have Xavier. I see how much you two like each other. I think the only ones who haven't figured it out are the both of you. I mean, just say it to him already!" she yelled.

"I feel bad about it though I mean, you liked him and you're my friend. I can't do that." I had said to her.

"I just told you I like Jake and I'll break up with him. I won't care." she said.

***

Now every time Xavier came near me I would run and every time Xavier came near Anne, she would run too. It was by the end of the day that I saw Xavier with a confused look, aiming it at the floor that I spoke to him. He was sitting in the cabin bed with the Trident on it when I walked in.

He looked up from the floor and when he saw it was me, he quickly looked back at the floor.

I took the time to notice how his long-ish hair was sticking to his face with sweat. His feet were denting the cabin floor as he bumped them with it nervously. His thick brows were furrowed and his eyelashes were long and dark.