C H A P T E R 8

Xavier - S M A L L C H A P T E R - F I L L E R

It has been a week since the disappearance of Amelie. I had tried to be strong for the group and try making decisions, but now I'm not too sure that I can.

I had sent Roy, Roman, and Doris to try to find Amelie, wherever she went. As much as I wanted to go myself, Roman could have it all under control and Doris was Amelie's best friend. She'd know if something bad happened to her.

I was currently walking with the rest of the group trying to look for the man with a thousand hands. In the prophecy it said that only two of us could meets him and try to seek for his help. I volunteered since I knew how to read the symbol map which is what we came here for.

"Hey, you holding up well?" I asked Elizabeth who was the quietest I'd seen since I met her. She only nodded in reply with a sad smile.

I can't believe I let this happen to Amelie. I'd never forgive myself for doubting her since the first day I saw her. She looked so prepared and wise. And beautiful.

Nobody could be that perfect. I guess I was a little jealous.

I thought she was pretty when I first saw her lying down on her hospital bed. She had been sleeping at the time, but her eyes would sometimes open when the ambrosia kicked in. I had been too close for my liking because I was putting some water beside her and I thought I had done something and she was scolding at me, but when I turned around I only saw her paled features compared to my tan one. Her eyes seemed to glow like diamonds under the light of the hospital room. Her hair, the darkest I'd seen in my entire life, was spread all around her, and I hadn't noticed I was staring until Roman came in.

"You're staring." he had said, and it was true, but I instantly denied it. After that I was sad to see her talk to Michael so much, and I had never liked him to begin with, so in my opinion everything bad that happened to us was because of him. And since she talked with him, I became to be suspicious of her too.

Now I regret doing that because just when things started going well she was taken away and I stood there, defenseless, for the first time.

"We're almost there." I heard Anne call out from the front. I told her to lead the way for me to be able to think through everything. Elizabeth had also offered to talk to the man with a thousand hands. I'm guessing she wanted to get through everything quick to be able to see Amelie again because I told her earlier not to go on the search for her best friend.

"Are you mad at me?" I asked her, and she shook her head in reply, but I don't think I'll believe even the most sincere and happiest person I've seen if they tell me she was not mad at me. She was angry, I could tell.

"I didn't let you go because you are far more needed here. So don't feel like I didn't let you because I think you're weak or something. On the contrary." I told her, that's when her walls started going down.

"Thank you." She said. I nodded at her as we kept walking. I glanced over to Sebastian who had a frown since Amelie had been kidnapped. I felt bad for him too. I had learned that Sebastian and Amelie were like brother and sister which was why the almost kiss between them got them to get embarrassed, mostly. I thought they both liked each other, but one day, Doris and Elizabeth had explained to me their story. I didn't even know why they were both explaining that to me, but I couldn't stop hearing about it once they started.

I tried hard to pretend it didn't matter to me, but I get the feeling that Doris knew exactly what I was feeling when I wasn't even sure myself. She gave me a stare and a wiggle of her eyebrows any time she saw me looking at Amelie.