S p e c i a l : B a i l e y & K y l e

Start from the beginning

I stepped up to the counter, Master glancing back at Puppy. "Uh--Bailey go out on a movie for Puppy while we get this done."

I nodded my head, gesturing for Puppy to follow me. He did so after a minute. Sometimes I thought Puppy might be off. Boss said he wasn't but Puppy wasn't quite right--then again no one named Puppy really would be. I looked at the DVD titles. We'd accumulated quite a collection over the years.

Most of it was too adult for Puppy to follow. But how well did Puppy follow anything? I looked through the titles again. Eventually I just pulled out a comedy.

There was most definitely nudity and crass language but how much did Puppy really pull from movies in general?

I baked the chicken while Master did the dishes. I tossed the expired products and swore up and down I'd clean it out tomorrow. I wanted to see how much it would take to push him over the edge.

When the chicken was done Master and I sat and ate in silence. It was different knowing there was someone in the other room. He ate two and half breasts. I made it three quarters through my own.

"How was it?" I asked.

He took a long drink of water--we only had a bit of milk left and it was reserved for coffee. "Dry. You overcooked it."

I sighed. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright. It was good though. You remembered to season it this time without slathering it in barbecue sauce."

I clucked my tongue. "We have chicken just about every night--it's not easy to keep making it interesting."

Master looked away and my stomach clenched. "I'm sorry."

"No I am. I wish... I wish I could do better for us, y'know?" He asked, tone pained. "And I checked the propane and it's almost out. I gotta call it in."

I kept track of our finances because I had a 'better head for numbers'. I didn't mind--it gave me an important job. I pulled the green notepad I kept out budge it out. I flipped it open to the current page.

I had to readjust because of the late pay. I shifted some numbers over in my head and I looked at him. "I didn't think we'd need it this month. I don't think we can afford it--we don't have enough in the bank to pay it. I already cut the groceries down to $40 which will only cover the necessities."

"We've got some extra in the can right?"

The coffee can we kept on top of the refrigerator was where we were supposed to keep extra cash. But to keep extra cash you had to have extra cash. I got up obediently and pulled it down. I pulled the top off and pulled out the weathered bills. "21 bucks."

"Okay. Uh--what do we pay this week?"

"Electric, water, insurance, car payment."

"You're kidding me."

"Nope. And I'm gonna have to call the electric company and ask for a payment plan."

"No you're not." Master said firmly.

"Master I don't understand--you didn't get paid last week. Neither did I. And I don't think we're getting a check this week either seeing as Scott's still in the hospital." I said angrily. "We have six hundred and fourteen dollars and thirteen cents to work with for two weeks. We can't make all the payments. We need to use the emergency money but that won't get us all the way either. Maybe we can call my brother--"

"No." He bristled. "Absolutely not Bailey--I can take care of my own goddamn finances okay?"

I grit my teeth. "Okay--so what are we going to do?"