Chapter 1: who is she?

"Mrs. Donavan, where are you??"

I was already nervous, and the missing presence of Mrs. Donavan made it no easy.

Impatiently i opened the main door and came out to the front porch calling out for her, when I saw her walking towards me from the neighboring house.

I felt the same knot in my stomach that I had every time I looked at that house. My eyes filled up and I turned to get inside the house after giving the house a last gaze. I wanted to avoid Mrs. Donavan seeing me cry, so I quickly wiped my tears off and turned back to her.

"Where have you been? The breakfast is almost ready, just need your maple syrup. I am hungry."

With the brightest smile on her face, she entered the house with something in her hand.

"Look dear, I got you something as a good luck charm. It's your first day, and I want you to wear this."

With this, she brought her hand forward and opening it. There it was shining, a beautiful string of gold. My heart skipped a beat and a flood of memories swooped all over my heart.

Mrs. Donovan realized the effect it had on me, and bringing her hands forward put the gold chain around my neck, "Dear, the past always beats inside us like our second heart. It never leaves us, it only helps us move forward."

With tears in my eyes, I gave her a hug. All I could manage to say was "Thank you. Thank you for everything. But you know I don't like to talk about the past. I am sorry. But I still can't."

"Come on come on!! The pancakes are getting cold. It's my first day at work. Don't do this to me. I am already nervous. What if I fail at the tasks they give? Oh God Oh God!!!"

"Ananya!! Calm down."

"We both know, that's not going to happen."

And we both bursted out laughing.

Mrs. Donovan has been more than a mother to me. She was in her 60's and still so young at heart. A heart that has love never really grows old. She has been my support all through my college, while I completed my MS in Computers. She treated me like family since the day I first came to the US.

I don't really like to go back to those days even in my thoughts. It sent a chill down my spine.

My life with Mrs. Donavan had been simple. She didn't just give me place in her heart, but also in her home. She gave me her name.

"Oh My God!! I am already late. He is still not here Mrs. Donavan. I am going to kill him."

I was going to kill him. Its already so late and being late on the first day!! He is going to get us fired.

And then there it was, his car honking and making the entire village deaf.
My ride to work was here.

*******************************************************

What is it in the past that she doesn't talk about?

Who is Ananya waiting for?

This is just the beginning. Its gonna get interesting. Stay tuned!!