I looked up at Scott. Lisa was behind him, her freckled face drawn down in  frown. I felt fresh tears pool in my eyes. "It's where I eat."

"You know I'll just wait in line at the front office," Lisa said to Scott patting his shoulder as she left.

I hunched over the bowl. "Puppy, go and sit at the table and use your silverware."

I felt tears well up in my eyes. "Please." I whispered.

"What? You need to speak up."

The tears streamed down my cheeks. "Please!" I sobbed.

"Puppy I don't understand. You were doing so well--"

"No! I do bad! I get it everywhere and I can't use the spoons... And-and I always spill the cups." I looked down. "Can't things go back to the way they were?"

He frowned. "No Puppy they cannot. I don't know what's made you feel this way but I don't like it. Sit at the table. I don't care if you make a mess or spill a bit when you're drinking." He knelt down, picking up the bowl and setting it on the table. "You eat up here like a person. That's what you are. Not a dog or a pet."

I looked down at my feet in shame. "I'm not good at being a person. I think I make a better dog."

"Hey." He grabbed my chin. "I don't want to hear you say another thing like that. Understand?"

I pulled away with a whimper. "I'm sick of feeling dumb."

"Is that why you were so upset yesterday?"

"It makes me so mad that I can't learn!" I grit out, fighting back my tears. "I just want to do something right. And the only thing I know how to do right is act like an animal. Cos when I'm held to that standard, I'm not as stupid."

Scott looked at me a moment. He nodded his head after a minute. "I hear what you're saying Puppy. I understand your thought process on this. However I'm not going stand by and allow it to continue. You're a clever boy capable of far more than you think you are. You just need to come out of your shell a bit, okay?"

I drew in a shuddering breath. "I miss Bailey."

Scott nodded his head. "I'm sure you do. Maybe you can call them and we can have them over for dinner tonight? That is if you get up and sit at the table."

I wiped my tears. "And-and you think they'll come?"

"Yes. I need to talk with Kyle about his barn anyway. I'll call them as soon as you get up at the table and pick up a spoon."

I didn't want to. I really didn't. But I missed my friend. I got my feet and sat heavily at the table. Scott held out a spoon I hesitantly took. "I'm so proud of you for doing this," he told me as he pulled out his phone.

He wouldn't dial he number until I took a bite however. I maneuvered the spoon into my mouth, dropping half of it on the table and my chin. "Good job." Scott said gently.

He called the number and I waited excitedly. It rang twice. "Nealson residence," a familiar though bored voice greeted.

"Good afternoon Bailey," Scott replied

"Hi Boss! Do you need us?"

In the background I could hear Kyle. "Give me the phone and finish sweeping."

Then Kyle was speaking. "Sorry about that--he'd do just about anything to get out of his chores. Its going to get him punished soon."

"I was wondering if you two would come over for dinner tonight? Puppy would like to see Bailey and I'd like to talk to you about the horse's living arrangements."

Heal My Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें