Chapter 54: Rioting Bloom

Bernice
Atlanta, Georgia

I sat in a chair as one person did my hair and another did my makeup on the set of this video shoot. Dave wasn't playing when he said he wanted me in his music video because I'm actually getting paid the amount I asked for for doing this. I looked at Toya as she dragged a seat to sit by me. I looked at her in confusion as she just sat there smiling with a stupid grin on her face. "Soooo..." she finally said putting her hand under her chin. "You excited?"

"Um, excited to get this check. I could care less about being in the video to be honest."

"Why? You should be glad he's putting you in a video. At least you're getting claimed. How many rappers you know that will have their girl in their video?"

I shrugged closing my eyes as the makeup artist did my eyeshadow. "Remember when you first got hired and you gave me all those rules so people wouldn't think me and him were dating when we really weren't at first? What happened to that? Now you're all for us being together. Our biggest cheerleader," I said making us both chuckle.

"I was just doing my job and we weren't friends then. I can just see how much Dave loves you. I don't know, my mother just always taught me to look at the bigger picture. Does the man look starry eyed when he sees you? Does he put you on the pedestal you deserve? Does he make an active effort to change when he messes up? In no way do I condone cheating, but I know when a man wouldn't have done it if someone wasn't actively pursuing him. If someone wasn't trying to set him up. There's a reason this happened. You guys are built for it. Major setback for a, what? Major come back!" She held her hands up so I gave her a double high five.

The hair dresser guarded my face before spraying my hair with hair spray. Once she was done the makeup artist put lip gloss on my lips handing me a mirror. I held it up to my face taking in the light beat and the slick top knot bun. I've never liked a lot of makeup, so this was just enough. A smooth foundation, long lashes, and gloss. Right as I stood up from the chair Brittany came in breathing hard. "Bitch! You know how much I struggled to get this dress? Last minute they decided they wanted a black dress instead of red. Assholes!" I laughed lightly as she unzipped the garment bag. She took out a long black ball gown. She held it up telling me to take off my robe, so I did.

"They're really going all out for this video," I said as I stepped into the dress. Brittany pulled it up smoothing it out as I looked in the mirror saying, "I feel like I'm going to prom again." I cringed thinking back on both my junior and senior year prom dresses. Both ugly and cheap, but I made it work since I paid for them myself. This dress was beautiful though.

She handed me the accessories so I put them on. "Sit," she instructed as she pulled a pair of heels out of shoe box.

"Do I really have to wear heels? The dress is so long it covers my feet." I sat in the chair raising the dress, so Brittany could put the Stuart Weitzman strappy heels on my feet. "Can I at least keep the shoes after?"

"Sure," she said buckling the last strap.

There were two taps at the door and we saw someone peak in. "Is she ready?" Brittany told them yes then we left the room. They drove me along with Brittany and Toya to the location the video would be shot at, which was a big mansion that had a Mercedes Benz sls AMG in front of it with the camera crew. This was the type of house I dreamed of. People wonder why I work so hard and this is exactly why. One of these days I'll be out of a condo in New York and in a huge house with my family. The video director walked up to me saying, "For the first scene you'll get out of the car, go up the steps then into the house as the camera follows you."

"Just hope I don't trip," I said looking at the steps. I nodded my head looking around at all the people on set growing nervous. When I say I don't like attention I really mean it. I never strived to get attention for my body and looks. It just happened. Well, it didn't just happen. I went looking for it the day I walked into King of Diamonds looking for a job. "Where's Dave?" I asked either Brittany or Toya.