Chapter 7: Heal Old Wounds

Bernice

I wiped the living room table off vigorously out of nervousness. Today Malachi is coming for his first monitored visit. Dave's mom was bringing him then someone from the adoption agency is also coming. I sprayed the Pledge onto the wooden table beginning to wipe once more when I heard, "Yo, B! Chill out you're making me nervous." I looked up to see him coming from the hallway. I put my hand on my hip breathing out deeply.

"What makes you think I'm nervous?" I asked going back to wiping.

"Because you clean when you're nervous. Momma said she's on her way. C'mon, just relax until they get here." He grabbed the Pledge bottle from me and the paper towels. He kissed my forehead before taking them to the pantry when there was a knock at our door. Dave came back out and we went to open the door. It was a Caucasian woman I assumed was from the adoption agency.

"Is this the Brewster residence?" She asked looking down at a paper.

"Yes, are you from the agency?"

"Yes, I'm Rachel and I'll be monitoring your first in home visit." Dave opened the door wider letting her in.

"My mom's on her way right now to bring him."

"Oh, that's fine. It gives me time to tour your place. Do you mind?"

"No, not at all. Come with me!" I said, so she followed me. I showed her the living room, dining room, kitchen then we went down the hall. I showed her the guest bathroom then the two extra bedrooms. "We just moved in, that's why these two rooms are empty."

"Oh, it's fine. You have a lovely home and I see everything is baby proof." I showed her our bedroom then we were walking back to the living room. "Whenever the child gets here act like I'm not even here. I'm just a fly on the wall taking notes." I nodded as she sat in a chair placed in the corner of the room.

Twenty minutes later there was another knock at the door. I opened it seeing Mrs. Janice holding Malachi. "Sorry, it took so long. New York traffic has been the vain of my existence since I moved here." I laughed as I helped bring the bags she had in. Dave came over hugging his mother. Malachi reached for me, so I grabbed him. I've only been around him a couple of times, so I'm surprised he did that. He's literally the cutest thing on earth.

"What about me? You forget about me?" Dave asked getting in Malachi's face then kissing him making him laugh

"What about me? You forget about me?" Dave asked getting in Malachi's face then kissing him making him laugh. He wrapped his arms tighter around my neck resting his head on my chest. "I see how it is, Kai."

"Don't hate because he likes me!" I said sticking my tongue out at Dave.

"It's coo, because he's gonna like me in a few seconds. Watch!" Dave said going down the hall. I went to the couch with Dave's mom sitting down with Malachi on my lap. Dave came back with the toys he bought him. Not all of them because some of them are for his birthday. Dave took Malachi placing him on the floor sprawling out right next to him. I giggled at his long legs as he showed Malachi how to work his new toys.