Chapter 38: Moved On

Two Years Later
June 3rd

Bright and early at 6am stood Bernice over the stove preparing breakfast. She had already woken up her 4 year old and 2 year old, Malachi and Aurora to get ready but has yet to get ready herself. As she prepared the scrambled eggs in a skillet she looked over her shoulder smiling at the site of her man. She turned the stove off putting the eggs onto a plate then watched him struggle with his tie. She chuckled walking over to him pushing his hands to the side to do it for him. "You just need to get clip-on ties, D."

He laughed as she finished after patting his chest. "I try." He said shrugging while grabbing a piece of toast biting into it. Bernice rolled her eyes wiping crumbs from his dress shirt then the granite top counters.

"Do you not believe in plates, sir?"

"I'm tryna save you dishes. Be grateful," he said laughing but Bernice didn't find it funny. Right as she was about to say something smart Malachi came down the hallway dragging his backpack in one hand and holding Aurora's hand in the other. Bernice smiled at how attentive Kai was to her slowly walking so she wouldn't trip over her bowlegged feet she got from her father. Bernice went over picking Aurora up kissing her making her giggle then taking her to her high chair. As she sat her bowl of food down in front of her she noticed Kai had put her shoes on the wrong feet.

She laughed saying to Kai, "I appreciate the help but wrong feet, my man."

"No wonder it was so hard to get them on," he said scratching the top of his head that held a low haircut with little curls. He sat in the dining area as Bernice handed him a plate. Kai put his tiny hands together saying a quick prayer before beginning to eat. Bernice grabbed his backpack making sure everything he needed was packed in it. They were supposed to be spending the weekend with their grandparents. Bernice paused her actions as a knock at the door grabbed her attention.

She went to the door not bothering to look in the peephole because she knew exactly who it was. She swung the door open smiling as she let him in. "Good morning, Davey!"

"Morning, B!" He said walking in closing the door behind him. He watched as the mother of his child walked to the kitchen in a two piece pj set probably from her line. Her body after having the babies was even better than before. Even though they haven't been together in years it doesn't mean he can't look. A blind man could see how good B looked.

He licked his lips, but his stare was interrupted by Bernice's boyfriend of a year plus, Dominic greeting Dave. "Oh wassup, Dom." Dave said casually. Dave didn't dislike Dominic and didn't know him well enough to like him either. They kept a respectful distance. As long as Bernice was happy along with his kids he could care less. Dave himself hasn't been in a relationship since Bernice called it quits after his unfaithfulness almost 3 years later. He didn't plan to either. His focus are his children and his music career. Dave walked over to the dining area exchanging a hand slap with Kai then rubbing his head. "Wassup, Monkey!" Kai simply smiled biting into jellied toast. Dave made his way to his daughter observing her. "Who put these shoes on the wrong feet?" He said laughing undoing the pair of Adidas originals to put them on the right feet.

"Kai!"

"Ma!" They both said at the same time pointing. Dave laughed shaking his head.

Dave tickled Aurora's stomach saying, "Hey, mamas!" She side eyed him continuing to drink her juice out of the bottle. "Attitude just like ya momma. You don't wanna be bothered?" She continued to chug her juice so he took that as a yes.