Chapter 50: Where We Belong

Bernice
Midtown Manhattan, NYC

Today Dave's supposed to be taking me on a date. I've been asking where we're going, but he still won't tell me. We rode the train like old times. I'm not gonna lie at first I was acting boujie and didn't want to get on, but I got over it.

It brought back so many memories of me and Dave going on adventures just because we didn't want to be at home. I still remember this chick popping off at the mouth, so I followed her down the stairs and whooped her ass. Not for nothing, the whole time we were rolling around on the ground I thought we would somehow end up on the tracks and get killed. I always see some crazy 101 ways to die shit happening to me. My mom was so pissed she had to leave work to come get me at the precinct in the train station. I got the worst beating of my life. I find it funny how Dave was by my side through literally everything. No matter how hard we tried to stay away from each other we couldn't because that was my best friend. Nobody was taking his place.

We walked hand in hand across the street once the sign said we could go. He smacked his lips saying, "This why I don't like holding hands with you. Why you always gotta swing them?" He looked down on me glaring as I continued to swing them as we walked smiling. I love irritating him.

"It makes it more fun." I noticed we were approaching Bryant Park. "What are we doing here?" I asked looking up at him.

"You'll see," he said with a smirk on his face. We walked through the park when I noticed a blanket with a basket. "Aw, a picnic? How cute!" I said smiling even harder than I already was.

"Yup, you better enjoy this too because you know I don't do stuff like this."

"I will. Thank you," I said kissing his cheek. Before sitting on the blanket I took my jean jacket off.

"I checked you out a couple of books from the park library as well." I looked at the stack of books seeing some of my favorite poetry books smiling.

"This park has everything. They have ping-pong, you know? Don't they have free Wi-Fi here too?"

"Yeah, but if you think you're about to be on your phone you're sadly mistaken. Matter of fact give me your phone," he said extending his hand.

"But, but when's the next time I'm gonna go to a place with free Wi-Fi?"

"I don't know and I don't care. Cough it up," I sighed taking my phone out of my Chanel backpack handing it to him. I watched as he stuck it in the pocket of his jeans. "What did you pack in this basket?" I asked opening it up.

"Honestly, I don't know because I didn't pack it. Toya came through," he said shrugging.

"So, this was her idea?"

"No, I came up with the idea and she just helped me plan it. She assisted."

"Oh, okay. Sure," I said looking in the basket. I laughed pulling out a small bottle of Hennessy. "Really? She's gonna get us arrested for public intoxication."

"Toya knows me so well," Dave said chuckling as he took the bottle. I pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniels honey next laughing because I knew it was for me.

"Toya ain't slick. She's trying to get us to fuck!" I said taking the two glasses out of the basket.

"That's your horny juice right there. You drink some of that and you'll be ready to fuck the shit out of me," he said pouring me a glass extending it to me. He poured himself a glass of Henny next.