(29) When Things Go Down

"And so we have...three essays for Charms." Alexander laid down a small bit of parchment in the center, rummaging through his bag, before pulling out another thick book with a quill wedged in the pages. "Are you sure this is how you want to spend your birthday, Xander?" Florence asked skeptically, the blonde grinning.

"Well, yeah. Besides, there's nothing we could really do that's celebratory. So why not study away with my two best friends, right?" he said, Nicolai sat guiltily in her seat on the sofa, George's words replaying in her head as Florence skimmed through the pages of their Potions book.

"Right then, if you say so... I heard something about a performance test on Potions tomorrow... I didn't catch what it was about but I'm pretty sure it's about this." she pointed at a page, before sliding it closer to Nicolai, who still had the faraway look on her face.

Florence would be a bad friend if she didn't notice how completely off her best mate was acting—as it was very hard to miss. She looked sullen all the time, and Florence was worried because she hasn't consulted her about anything. Whatever it was, she wanted to be there for her.

"Nic, Nic!" she lifted the book inches above the table, before loudly slamming it down, snapping Nicolai out of her daze. The shorter brunette looked at her, startled, before regaining her composure in the most futile way.

"Yes, I-I think we should settle on our Charms homework first." she replied promptly, the look on both Florence and Alexander's faces indicated that it wasn't what they were talking about. Nicolai sighed inaudibly, propping her chin on the palm of her hand.

"You weren't listening," Alexander chuckled, "Perhaps it would help if you stopped zoning out all the time. What's wrong with you anyways? You haven't looked alright in ages."

Florence nodded in agreement, "What's wrong, Nic?"

Nicolai groaned, "Why do people keep asking me that?" she muttered, taking her quill out from her book bag, "It doesn't matter, okay? I don't need to talk about anything because I'm alright. Now why don't you just help me figure this our for Potions tomorrow so Snape can't harass my incapabilities anymore."

"Oh, I get it," Xander smiled faintly, "You're worried about your Potions exams. Well we still have three months max until our O.W.L.s. I'm sure you're going to do fine. Florence and I will be there to help you out."

"Exactly. Snape's easy, no matter how much he hates you, you're still smart. That's why you're in Ravenclaw... Remember?"

"Right..." she mumbled faintly. Nicolai appreciated their concern, but the fact that they weren't smart enough to piece everything together was frustrating. Not that she wanted them to do so, but she just really wanted to be understood by her best friends—the people who should be there for her at times of major crisis.

But they couldn't, because if she told them everything, it would all go to shit.

And so she had to hold it all in.

"I need to go see George." she muttered, standing up from her seat. Alexander frowned, "But you promised that you'd spend the whole day with us, Nic. It's a no-George-or-Jillian day, remember?"

"Well, I'm sorry. I just really need to see him." she said tersely, disappearing as she descended down the spiral staircases.

Florence sighed, "We really need to talk to her, Xan. I can tell that whatever that is she's keeping in is bothering her so much."

"She does know that she could talk to us, right? It's like—I don't know, maybe I'm the only one feeling this but, it's like she closed off on us. And we should be the first person she should think of going to whenever she has a problem, not George."