Her panicked gaze focused on mine and quickly, she closed the distance between us, putting her palm across my mouth. “Please, Flynn just be quiet, okay?”

I pulled her hand from my mouth, anger burning in my chest as I looked down at her long blonde hair glowing in the moonlight and her shadowed eyes as they pleaded with me. “No,” I said firmly, gripping her wrist and dragging her towards the house.

“Flynn,” she hissed, yanking at my wrist to try to get me to release her. “What the hell are you doing?”

I stopped suddenly as another wave of anger swept through me. I spun and brought my body close to hers, ignoring the way my heart picked up speed from being so close to her. “What the hell are you doing Cory? It was barely half an hour ago that you told me I was wrong about you and here you are, sneaking out of your house to go god knows where. You know, for a second I actually believed that you were trying to change things around but when I saw you at the party tonight, I knew you weren’t serious.” I shook my head, feeling like an idiot for thinking that maybe things had changed, that she had changed.

Something like hurt flashed across her eyes as she stopped pulling on her wrist, letting her hand go limp in mine. “Yeah, you’ve really got me pegged, Flynn,” she whispered, her eyelids lowering so that I couldn’t see what was going on in her golden gaze. “So why don’t you just let me go? I’m going to screw up eventually, it might as well be now, right? Don’t tell me you weren’t expecting it,” her voice was low and calm as she spoke and no matter how hard I listened, it was completely void of emotion. When her eyes lifted to look into mine again, they were flat and cold and her lip was tilted up in her usual smirk that I was coming to hate. “You did your part, Flynn. I’ll tell Jesse that you tried your hardest to save me from myself, now let me go.”

Her flat eyes flashed with determination and without thinking, I loosened my grip enough for her to snatch her hand away from me as if she was burned. I gritted my teeth, not liking the reminder that she thought so little of me but I barely had time to think about it before she whirled and started jogging towards the street, her leather jacket flapping in the wind as she moved swiftly away.

“Shit,” I muttered, casting one last look at the house before jumping into my truck and starting the engine. “Where are you going?” I asked, pulling up alongside her as she jogged. She just sent me an angry glare before continuing forward. “Come on Cory, I’ll give you a ride.”

She let out a humourless chuckle and shook her head slightly, not bothering to look at me this time. “No thanks.”

Just then, lightning lit the gloomy sky and water started to pour down in torrents. “Just get in!” I shouted, glaring at her leather jacket that was doing nothing to keep her warm.

She let out a frustrated breath and stopped suddenly, her chest rising and falling quickly as she stared angrily at the wet sidewalk in front of her before turning her glare towards me. “Promise you won’t just take me back home? Promise me you’ll take me where I need to go and then I’ll get in the car.”

I gritted my teeth and nodded, knowing I was going to regret my decision but I couldn’t just let her stay in the rain. “Where to?” I asked, once she’d climbed into the truck, breathing on her hands to make them warm again.

“The school,” she said quietly, her voice shaking slightly from the cold. I reached out to crank the heat and adjusted the vents so that they were blowing on her before I released the break and started moving along again.

“Thanks,” she whispered and my head shot towards her at the tone of her voice. Her gaze was focused on the vent blowing warm air at her face, making her hair sway slightly.