38

Ch. 38

We arrived at our house in Michigan but Papa wasn't going to just let what happened slide

"You know you're going to regret your decision right?"

"Well what choice do I have dad!..I'm against the wall here. You think it was easy for me? I left everything and everyone behind..".

Papa sits next to me and pulls me to his side.

"I left Nathan behind", I sob.

"You know I've been on your neck about going back to New York but I'm going to respect your decision, whatever you need"

I look up at my dad and wipe my tear stained face, "Do you think I did the right thing?"

"I wouldn't know..as long as you followed your heart, I'd say you're bound to find peace and happiness here...but from Ashton's point of view, I'd say he's devastated right now"

You're telling me.

"I really shouldn't tell you this after what you've been through --...", he sighs.

I shake my head vigorously, "No, I want to know"

Papa looks deep in my eye but finally he sighs, "Nathan ---he was going to propose".

"What do you mean propose? Is the company getting some kind of deal or something?"

"Ally...", he chuckles softly, "When you asked him to take the rest of the day off. He called to schedule a meeting. We met up --that's when he dropped the bomb. I asked him if he was certain you guys were ready and he told me, he said: I've had my fair share of single life. Your daughter made that certain. I wouldn't have called you up if I wasn't convinced that I want her by my side and I'm sure as hell not leaving until I get your blessing"

I'm too awestruck to speak, I just sit and stare.

My mind was probably still processing the information it'd just received...when it finally hit, my eyes widened, "No...no, no, no..why didn't you say something?"

He shrugs, "I tried to --but you wouldn't listen.."

He pulls me back down on the couch and removes some locks of hair from my face, "I know the ordeal you went through with Ryan and I'm just as skeptical about this as you are. But if there's one thing I know --it's that Skyscraper's a good man and not just because he's into cars like your old man. Go back to New York..before it's too late"

I search my dad's eyes for assurance, "But I don't have a ticket.."

Papa reaches into his suitcase and takes out an envelope, "Here..this is everything..everything you need to return to New York"

"How..."

"I'm your father and I've got people --it doesn't really matter", he smiles.

"I love you daddy", I sob, sinking in his side.

One week later...

"Ally"

"How is she?"

"You came back..I'm so sorry I didn't listen to you, it's all my fault Bianca's like this. I shouldn't have let personal feelings get in the way"

"Yeah...you should've", I smile softly at her weak, worn out face. " --but you see, sometimes things happens so we can see our mistake and maybe learn a thing or two from it"