5

Ch. 5

I'm pretty impressed that he remembered my address and sorta happy he came back, at least now, I'd get to clear my conscience on the key issue. But I wasn't about to let him know that.

He just stands there leaning on his car doing I don't know what with his cellphone and I'm growing impatient, so I take his phone and hold it over my head, "what are you doing here?", I ask carefully, spitting out each word.

"How long would you keep stalking me, i mean everywhere I turn, you're there and--".

He leans forward, cutting me off, "first --", he reaches up and takes his phone.

"Second, whoever said I was here to see you?", he asks, his eyebrows sky high, "don't tell me you're that naive"

Just for the record, I feel stupid, "So you're not here to see me?", I ask quietly.

He chuckles and makes a 'you can't be serious' face "why?". I make a sheepish face and cough, taking a step back.

"Were you expecting me?", he smirks, putting his hands in his pocket and shuffling his feet.

"What?...no of course not..why?", I smack myself mentally.

"I don't know, maybe you thought leaving your keys in my car would give you a chance to see me again". Why the fuck is he so cocky? The irritated feeling I know to well has returned and I groan in acknowledgement.

He smiles mockingly and tosses it at me. Getting into his car, he hit the ignition. "Wait...", I close my eyes tight and sigh mentally...just blurt it out "would you like to have lunch sometime?"

"You're not by chance asking me out, are you?", he smile, flashing his sparkly white teeth.

"No..no, i just thought I'd thank you for saving my butt for the third time", I try to smile, despite my feeling of vulnerability.

"Then say it", he shrugs

"Hm?"

"The words --you could just say 'thank you' and save yourself the trouble", he says, shifting his gaze from the road to me.

"Oh um well..I just thought--"

"No pork...good? ", he interrupts blatantly and I nod.

"Kenny's...since you don't work Sundays, today will do. I'm free anytime after four", he looks deep into my eyes and narrows his gaze as though reading my thoughts before chuckling softly.

It takes me ten seconds to process, but he's gone before I can ask any further questions. 'At least i got my keys back'

And i mean it's just lunch, what's the worst that could happen?

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪

"I thought i told you i don't eat pork", he says immediately the waiter serves our lunch and walks away.

I groan mentally, "I'm sorry, i can just order something else if you'd like", he sighs and tosses his fork on the table "eat"

"But what about--", I trail off, seeing the look on his face. He rolls his eyes and takes a sip from his glass.

I shift severally in my chair as I watch the guy I'm indebted to fiddle with his cellphone. The tarrying silence is driving me nuts, so I clear my throat and aim for a question I'm really not expecting an answer to.

"What's your name?"

"Why would you want to know that?", he replies without taking his eyes off his mobile. "Well...we've met on several occasions now and I still don't know what to call you".