20

Ch. 20

Nathan is seated on a couch with headphones over his ears, his eyes are closed and his arms are crossed over his chest.

How did he get in here?..It doesn't matter, i'm still not talking to him.

I take a deep breath and climb down the stairs, walking quietly to the coffee table to get my magazines.

"Hey", Nathan says. Swiftly tossing the headphones away, he springs to his feet. I simply walk away without looking back.

"Alexa", he sighs and jogs after me

"..Hey, I'm sorry for earlier, I-i didn't mean any of it".

I take out a bowl of salad I'd prepared earlier from the refrigerator and at the kitchen counter. Ash sits on the stool across from me and I can feel him stare.

I sigh and look at him, a nasty scowl on my face.

"Say something, yell at me..I deserve whatever i get. Just don't hold out on me".

Ignoring him once more, I help myself to some orange juice. Suddenly, I feel someone breathing down my neck and I stiffen, he wraps his arms around my waist before I can say anything.

You have got to be kidding me

I scribble the words : hug yourself -- on a sticky note from the refrigerator, and I slam it on Ashton's chest before stomping out.

It's 11:54 when I step out of the bathroom. I slip into a tank top and loose pants. Holding my alarm clock and crawl under the duvet.

"Three....two....one", I sigh and get out of bed, heading right for the living room. Ash is still there, only this time he's wearing his white undershirt on his pants. I suck in air, straighten out my tank top and climb down the stairs to join him on the sofa.

I toss my head back and sigh loudly.

"I really didn't mean it", Nathan sighs, I tilt my head to look at him, but his eyes are still closed.

"I know", I smile softly patting his thighs lightly. Nathan turns to me and smiles, he looked into my eyes like he's reading my thoughts before brushing his fingers against my face.

He leans in slowly as though we're about to kiss, but just when the little guys in my head are about to explode, he cocks his head and looks at my necklace.

"It's beautiful"

"Thanks", I cough a little tucking some hair behind my ear.

"You should get some rest", he says, looking into my eyes once more.

"Sure, I'll get you a blanket"

"I'm fine, just get some sleep..I'll see you tomorrow". When I don't move, he smiles weakly and slides his headphones back on.

_______________

"Hey girl"

"Alexa, ugh I thought you'd never call..I've missed you so much how've you been"

"Well, I've been great actually..I was heading out, thought I'd call you, see what's up. How's Jay?"

"We're cool, you missed him though..he just stepped out"

"Wait, you're at his apartment?"

"I sorta maybe moved in with him for a few days"

"What?..and you didn't tell me?!"