22

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLY!"

"You're kidding. You guys, I hate surprises...what the fuck is wrong with you people!"

Ch. 22

*Ring Ring Ring

"Go away"...snore

Ring Ring Ring*

...snore "what.. where's --ugh. Hello?"

"Krystal it's dad"

I rub my eyes and sit up in bed, "Papa?..."

"I'm sorry, I didn't wake you up..did i?"

"What no..yawn..I've been up for hours..Is something wrong?"

"No..Susan had the house ready for me so, I'm quite settled in actually"

"That's great Papa..yawn..so why'd you call?"

"I'm at work with your uncle Jeremy so we decided to call to wish you a happy birthday"

No way

"Today's not --"

"Don't tell me you forgot"

I scoff, "Forgot?...I cannot forget my own b-birthday, that's impossible"

My dad chuckles, "You...forgot didn't you"

"Fine..I forgot but you can't hold that against me...it's been a month since your move, a-and then there's work..."

I hear my Uncle laugh in the background, " --Hey Uncle Jerry!"

"Krystal sweetie how are things over there"

"Nah...mostly intact", I shrug

"Sorry baby, I wish I could be there with you"

"It's alright Papa..hearing your voice is a birthday present in itself"

"Happy birthday sweetie"

"Love you Papa"

"Love you too"

"Bye Uncle Jerry!"

"Bye sweetie"

Just as I put the phone away and I'm about to go back to bed, I hear the doorbell.

"Ugh --why!?", I groan, slipping out of my covers and shuffling down the stairs. I glances at the security camera and yank the door open.

"Happy Birthday!!", Ava and Jay chorus as they strapped a party hat on my head.

"28! 28! 28!", they chant

"You're oh -ficially a grandmother, congratulations!"

"Stop, you'll wake the entire building..plus you're embarrassing me", I giggle " --what are you guys doing here?.."

"Uh, it's your birthday and we thought..."

"No, no..I thought you guys were busy today. You said you were"

"Yeah, but it's your birthday, remember? We couldn't miss it..so, are we coming in or not", Jay pushes passed me. I chuckle softly and close the door.

"Why did you have to pull me outta bed?"

"Because...you always forget your birthday, we thought we'd remind you"

"Okay fine, i tend to forget sometimes but...every year? You do this every year!"

"Well...that's not our fault. It's our job, it's what we do", Jay ruffles my already messed up hair. I shake my head and crosse my arms.